GET THE FREE NATIONAL CYBER SECURITY APP FOR YOUR PHONE AND TABLET
Applies professional concepts, department policies and procedures to resolve a variety of complex issues in one or more IT areas of specialization. Analyzes complex issues. Within defined procedures and practices, determines appropriate action. Incumbent plans and maintains medium sized networks, workstations and servers installed ashore and aboard research vessels. The position performs system administration on multiple multi-user linux servers and client workstations; provides hardware and software support for Windows, OS X and Linux platforms and peripherals; maintains databases; designs, implements, tests, and documents complex software systems for network communications, data analysis, data retrieval, data archival; modifies, installs, and maintains externally written software packages; provides remote computer assistance to research vessels at sea. Responsibilities also include software and network project management from initial design through development and final testing and documentation; operation, maintenance and documentation of shipboard sonars and other scientific data acquisition equipment.
- Must be willing and able to spend up to 6 months at sea annually in one to two month increments. Must be able to travel globally without restrictions.
- Advanced skills associated with programming design, modification and implementation. Basic knowledge of secure software development. Demonstrated ability to create software specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to install software and troubleshoot and repair moderately complex problems with computing devices, peripherals and software. Understanding of and experience troubleshooting client, server and peripherals-related issues and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance. Experience in incident response and digital forensics, including data collection, examination and analysis.
- Thorough knowledge of business and process analysis functions. Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Demonstrated experience with database administration. Working knowledge of database management systems and standards. Knowledge relating to database system design. Advanced database querying and modeling skills working with moderately complex databases.
- Advanced knowledge of computer security tools, best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing server-based software. Demonstrated skill at administering moderately complex security controls and configurations to computer hardware, software and networks.
- Demonstrated testing and test planning skills.
- Familiarity with logical data design and data mapping or data conversion. Familiarity with data quality and governance issues and requirements.
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent / related functions.
- Must be able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) through Transportation Security Administration (TSA).