Motorola announced Tuesday that it will not issue monthly security patches for its Moto Z series and Moto G4 over difficulty in the amount of testing and approvals.
The statement comes days after the company said that the Moto Z and Moto Z Force devices will be supported with monthly patches from Android Security Bulletins.
Concerns over the monthly security patches were raised after Ars Technica said in its review of new Moto Z Force Edition and Moto Z that monthly updates will not be available to users. At the time, Motorola said that the updates will be available shortly after launch with additional patches. However, the company’s policy on monthly security update was later clarified.
“Motorola understands that keeping phones up-to-date with Android security patches is important to our customers,” Motorola told Ars Technica in a statement. “We strive to push security patches as quickly as possible. However, because of the amount of testing and approvals that are necessary to deploy them, it’s difficult to do this on a monthly basis for all our devices. It is often most efficient for us to bundle security updates in a scheduled Maintenance Release (MR) or OS upgrade.”
“As we previously stated, Moto Z Droid Edition will receive Android Security Bulletins. Moto G4 will also receive them,” the company added.
According to Ars Technica, there is no confirmation on the updates for the Moto Z or Moto G4 series.
Meanwhile, Google committed to monthly Android security updates after concerns were raised over the security of smartphones on Android platforms. Google started its monthly Android security update program last year, but Motorola constantly failed to be on time with these updates.
Samsung, LG, and BlackBerry have all agreed to offer the regular patches, but HTC hesitated, calling it an “unrealistic” target.
The Moto X Pure Edition recently received the May security patch, and its previous update was dated in February, while Samsung S7 Edge currently has the July update.