GET THE FREE NATIONAL CYBER SECURITY APP FOR YOUR PHONE AND TABLET
THESE days, a Wi-Fi connection is considered a travel necessity up there with a comfy pillow from a hotel.
But did you know that some of the most popular tourist spots around the world pose a risk to your security if you access a wi-fi hotspot on your mobile phone?
That’s according to mobile security company Skycure which has released a list of the places where you’re most likely to be affected by malicious software via Wi-Fi hot spots.
New York’s Times Square topped the list, followed by the Notre Dame in Paris and Disneyland Paris. According to tests conducted by the company, the most common trick hackers use to lure unsuspecting visitors is to place the word “free” in a hotspot name.
Android devices are twice as vulnerable as IOS devices.
Here are the top 15 riskiest attractions:
1. Times Square, New York City
2. Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris
3. Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee, France
4. Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
5. Ocean Park, Hong Kong
6. Las Vegas Strip, Las Vegas
7. Hollywood Walk of Fame, Hollywood, California
8. Union Station, Washington D.C.
9. Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston
10. Disneyland Park, Anaheim, California
11. Navy Pier, Chicago
12. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
13. Grand Palace, Bangkok, Thailand
14. Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, Orlando
15. Pike PlaceMARKET, Seattle
Tips on how to increase your mobile phone security:
• Avoid “free” Wi-Fi networks.
• Take note of any warning notifications that pop up on your phone and don’t press “continue” if you don’t understand what they mean.
• Use the most current operating system on your phone.
• If you notice anything odd, disconnect from the network.
• Use a mobile security app to protect it.