Welcome back, Smyrna-Vinings. I’m here in your inbox this morning to tell you everything you need to know about what’s going on around town.
But first, today’s weather:
An afternoon thunderstorm. High: 90 Low: 69.
Here are the top three stories today in Smyrna-Vinings:
- A former Amazon warehouse manager in Smyrna has been sentenced to 16 years in prison for defrauding the company of nearly $10 million. Kayricka Wortham abused her position to create fake vendors and submit fictitious invoices, leading to substantial financial losses. The court emphasized the magnitude of the fraud and the importance of upholding the integrity of the justice system. (MDJOnline.com)
- Jason Lamont Callahan, 46, has been convicted by a Cobb County jury on charges of aggravated sexual battery and child molestation. Cobb Superior Court Judge Julie Adams Jacobs sentenced Callahan to life in prison. The case began when a student at King Springs Elementary School reported to her teacher that she was being sexually abused by her stepfather. The victim bravely testified during the trial, and the prosecution commended her courage for coming forward. (Fox5 Atlanta)
- A recent reassessment of home values in Cobb County has led to increased tax bills for homeowners. To provide an overview of median home values in the county, an interactive map based on the 2021 5-year American Community Survey (ACS) has been created. While the survey offers useful data for comparing relative prices within the county, it’s important to note that the ACS figures have a time lag and rely on homeowner estimates. (Cobb County Courier)
Calling Smyrna-Vinings business owners: reach local readers, attract a crowd, and make a splash with your events this summer! We have a limited number of sponsorships available to amplify your events and increase attendance among your target audience. Click here to learn more about our sponsorships.
- Tweens: Creativity Club At Smyrna Public Library (11:00 AM)
- ATL Whiskey And Cigar Experience At CBD American Shaman Vinings (7:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Are you looking to fill your social calendar this weekend? Check out the list of events happening in metro Atlanta area this weekend at the link! (FOX 5 Atlanta)
- Check out Atlanta’s largest outdoor digital exhibition “Extension of Nature” downtown now through Jul. 31. Learn more about the exhibit at the link. (WABE 90.1 FM)
- In nearby East Cobb, Mexican eatery Tin Lizzy’s is closing temporarily for renovations on Jul. 9. The restaurant expects to reopen on Friday, Jul. 14. (East Cobb News)
You’re all caught up for today! See you tomorrow morning for your next update.
— Danielle Fallon-O’Leary
About me: Danielle Fallon-O’Leary is a content manager with content creation agency Lightning Media Partners and assists Patch.com with community newsletter curation. Danielle also holds a Master’s Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and works part-time as a pediatric speech therapist.