Hello, neighbors! Rose Mendez here with your Thursday edition of the Catonsville Daily, full of everything you need to know about what’s happening locally.
But first, today’s weather:
Breezy with clouds and sun. High: 48 Low: 30.
Here’s to our premier local sponsor. Check out what they can do for you:
Want updates on the rapidly changing real estate market in our area? Subscribe to Benjamin Meyer’s weekly newsletter. Ben is an agent at EXP Realty who was born and raised in Catonsville, and knows the local market cold. Keep an eye on the market and get access to insights and opportunities from a trusted expert with deep ties to our area. Visit Benjamin here to learn more.
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to get started.
Here are the top three stories today in Catonsville:
- Baltimore County Police are investigating a carjacking incident that started in Baltimore city and ended in nearby Towson on Jan. 24. According to police, a suspect made a carjacking attempt on the 9200 block of Harford Road in Baltimore and then drove to Loch Raven Boulevard and Joppa Road in Towson where he successfully committed an armed carjacking. Officers found the suspect with a self-inflicted gunshot wound near Goucher Boulevard and Colbury Road. (Fox Baltimore)
- According to a new report by the Maryland Office of the Inspector General for Education, Baltimore County Public Schools’ weak security procedures and failure to adopt IT recommendations made it more susceptible to the November 2020 ransomware attack, costing the district almost $10 million for recoveries and upgrades. The state auditor found that since 2008, the district disregarded the Maryland Office of Legislative Audits’ recommendations about data and network vulnerabilities. There is still an ongoing investigation of the ransomware attack by state and federal authorities. (State Scoop)
- Create your own gnome and bring it home! Baltimore County Arts Guild is hosting a “Paint Night” at the Clubhouse in Catonsville. Enjoy an evening of painting, snacks, and fun this Saturday, Jan. 28, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Click here to purchase tickets before its sold out. (Baltimore County Arts Guild via Instagram)
Today in and around Catonsville:
- Sip & Shop Thirsty Thursdays At The Sacred Space Bmore in Baltimore (5:00 PM)
- Poetry Open Mic with Patti Ross At The Catonsville Clubhouse (6:00 PM)
- BCGS Orchestra: Free Concert At Auditorium at Charlestown Senior Living (7:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Bill Higgins will be interviewed at Bill’s Music in Catonsville on Friday, Jan. 27! Tune in to WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore during the “Where’s Marty?” portion of the 9:00 a.m. segment to listen. (Catonsville Chamber of Commerce via Facebook)
- The Rotary Club of Catonsville and present Frosty Golf, an Indoor Mini-Golf Tournament, on Feb. 25! Enjoy cash prizes, auctions (silent and live), beer, wine, food, and more. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. at the Charlestown Retirement Community. (Catonsville Rotary)
- has relocated to 701 Frederick Road in Catonsville! The store is open to the public now and the Grand Opening celebration will be announced soon. (Catonsville Chamber of Commerce via Facebook)
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Thursday off right! I’ll see you around.
— Rose Mendez
About me: Rose Mendez is a freelance writer. She is studying English Literature at Hunter College. She loves reading, walking around the city, and coffee!