Good morning, neighbors. It’s me, Nicole Fallon-Peek, your host of the Sandy Springs Patch newsletter — here to impart all the most important things happening in town these days.
But first, your local weather:
- Tuesday: An afternoon thunderstorm. High: 77 Low: 65.
- Wednesday: Humid with heavy t-storms. High: 76 Low: 64.
Here are the top three stories in Sandy Springs today:
- A man accused of a yearlong search for murder and child cruelty charges has been arrested in Clayton County. Dontavious Carr allegedly opened fire at his child’s mother’s home, killing another man. He became enraged after finding the mother with company and shot the victim multiple times. Carr managed to evade police until he was spotted breaking into cars in Sandy Springs and later tracked to Atlanta. After a chase, he was apprehended by Georgia State Patrol troopers and found with a loaded handgun. Carr is facing multiple charges and had been on the Clayton Sheriff’s office “Most Wanted” list since the 2022 homicide. (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- The closure of the Pitts Road bridge in Sandy Springs, Georgia is causing delays for commuters. The bridge is being replaced with a wider and safer bridge for pedestrians. The Georgia Department of Transportation plans to replace three aging bridges that cross Georgia SR 400. The closures and replacements are part of a larger project that includes the Roberts Drive and Kimball Bridge Road bridges. The Kimball Bridge project is expected to be completed next year. (WSBTV)
- The National Park Service is defending its decision to move the tubing business Shoot the Hooch 20 miles up the river. The business used to operate in Sandy Springs but was relocated to Duluth in Gwinnett County. The move was made due to the volume of people on the river in Sandy Springs. Shoot the Hooch owner, Bill Odrey claims that the northern part of the river has more obstacles and is unsafe for tubing. The National Park Service stated that its mission is to preserve nature and not cater to businesses operating on parkland. (Atlanta News First)
Are you a business owner or marketer in Sandy Springs? Attract new local customers with a sponsorship in the Patch newsletter. Click here to learn more.
Today and tomorrow in Sandy Springs:
Tuesday, June 13
- Kids Summer Movie Club: Chicken Run At The Springs Cinema & Taphouse (10:00 AM)
- 11th Annual Rockin’ The Runway Fashion Show Fundraiser At Sandy Springs Performing Arts Center (5:30 PM)
Wednesday, June 14
- 2023 Georgia Kids Belong Picnic in the Park At Morgan Falls Overlook Park (5:00 PM)
In partnership with T-Mobile:
Do you know a Sandy Springs dad whose texts make you smile? This Father’s Day, celebrate him with a shoutout on Patch. Just fill out this simple form and we’ll do the rest!
From my notebook:
- Food That Rocks 2023 was a highly enjoyable event with delicious food and drinks, featuring winners like Nowak’s Sandy Springs for the best taste and Don Julio Tequila for the best beverage of the night. Excitement is already building for the next edition of the event. (Visit Sandy Springs via Instagram)
- Looking for a detour around the Pitts Rd. Bridge for the next year? Check out the Sandy Springs, Georgia: City News Facebook page for a helpful detour map and for more information about what community members can expect from this bridge project. (Sandy Springs, Georgia: City News via Facebook)
- The Sandy Springs Police continues to provide swimming safety tips emphasizing the importance of active supervision when children are swimming this summer. It recommends that adults should be within arm’s reach of infants or toddlers in water and avoid distractions to ensure the child’s safety. Additionally, the department suggests using the Water Watcher card strategy when multiple adults are present to prevent lapses in supervision. (Sandy Springs Police via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Enhance your BRAIN through body training, breathing, and meditation (June 15)
- Out of this World! 30th Anniversary Concert (June 17)
- Vacation Bible School (June 19 – June 23) (June 19)
- Add your event
You’re all caught up for today. See you all soon for another update!
— Nicole Fallon-Peek