As cybersecurity threats continue to evolve, so does the need for cybersecurity professionals to stay up-to-date. Cybersecurity requires continuous learning and development of new skills and knowledge to manage and mitigate security risks effectively.
15 Essential and Free Resources for Cybersecurity Professionals
Fortunately, there are many free resources available to help empower cybersecurity professionals. These 15 essential free development resources are specifically designed to enhance the skills of cybersecurity professionals. Regularly checking different resources along the way can help you stay current.
- Cybrary.it: This online cybersecurity training platform providing access to free courses, hands-on training, virtual labs, and more. The platform offers a range of courses covering various topics, including ethical hacking, penetration testing, incident response, and network security.
- Opensecuritytraining.info: A non-profit organization providing free online courses, videos, and lab exercises. The platform covers various topics, including network security, cryptography, secure coding, and malware analysis.
- edx.org: Similar to Cybrary.it, edX.org is a learning platform that provides access to free cybersecurity courses from top universities and institutions. The platform covers a range of topics, including network security, cryptography, risk management, and cybercrime, among others.
- SkillStorm: In partnership with ClearanceJobs, this learning platform provides security clearance professionals with the skills needed to pass certification exams in AWS, CompTIA, Appian, Salesforce and Pega. Courses take between 4-8 weeks, are exclusively online, and includes 5 hours of live instruction and office hours.
- Reddit/r/cybersecurity: This dedicated, community-driven cybersecurity subreddit focuses on sharing news, trends, and best practices among cybersecurity professionals.
- SANS Institute: A leading cybersecurity training organization providing access to webinars, whitepapers, podcasts, and more. The organization covers various topics, including network security, penetration testing, cloud security, and incident response.
- ClearanceJobs: Have you created your account yet with ClearanceJobs? Not only can you start the process of finding your next perfect role by connecting with recruiters, but you can also expand your community, gain valuable perspectives, and establish new connections.
- KrebsOnSecurity: In-depth cyber news site by Brian, Krebs, a well-known security journalist. The website focuses on in-depth investigative reporting and analysis on a wide range of topics, including data breaches, emerging threats, and notable security incidents.
- The Hacker News: A cybersecurity news platform that provides up-to-date information on vulnerabilities, hacking techniques, security breaches, cybercrime, privacy and tech news.
- Dark Reading: Features news, articles, and analysis on cyber security topics, including threat intelligence, vulnerability management, and incident response.
- ClearanceJobs News: Readers can learn the latest industry news, get security clearance tips, and learn professional development tips to grow in their careers.
- Darknet Diaries: This podcast series delves into the dark side of the internet, exploring fascinating and often chilling tales of hacking, cybercrime, and espionage. The podcast is hosted by Jack Rhysider, a security expert and former network security engineer.
- Security Now: Hosted by Steve Gibson – a reputable security researcher who coined the term spyware and created the first anti-spyware program – and Leo Laporte, “Security Now” covers a wide range of cyber security and privacy topic including current security issues, vulnerabilities, and emerging threats.
- Smashing Security: The Award-winning weekly podcast series is hosted by cybersecurity industry veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault and features discussions on the latest security news, privacy issues, and online scams.
- ClearedCast: Hosted by ClearanceJobs’s Katie Keller, this series focuses on providing security clearance, intelligence community, espionage, national security, and defense contracting updates through exclusive interviews with intelligence community and government leaders.
Cybersecurity requires continuous learning and developing new skills to stay ahead of the ever-evolving threats. Fortunately, the many resources listed above will help you expand your skills and advance your careers in this dynamic field.
Brandon Osgood is a strategic communications and digital marketing professional based out of Raleigh, NC. Beyond being a passionate storyteller, Brandon is an avid classical musician with dreams of one day playing at Carnegie Hall. Interested in connecting? Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.