Anti-COVID-19 protesters arrested at ‘Freedom Day’ demonstrations in Sydney | #coronavirus | #scams | #covid19

NSW Police have arrested a number of people in Sydney’s Hyde Park and Olympic Park at unauthorised protests against COVID-19 lockdown measures.

Among those arrested was a 54-year-old man who police say allegedly assaulted an officer.

Two other people — a 44-year-old man and a 56-year-old woman — were also arrested at Hyde Park.

Police have issued 18 people with court attendance notices and a 16-year-old was issued a youth caution for flouting COVID-19 restrictions.

A sister protest at Cathy Freeman Park just outside ANZ stadium gathered huge crowds and police are still working to move people on.

Victorian Police have made multiple arrests in Melbourne where around 300 anti-lockdown protesters have gathered for a march.

Demonstrations are also taking place in every Australian capital city and several regional areas, including Byron Bay.

Protesters argue COVID-19 is a hoax and say their freedoms are being unfairly impinged.

Crowd of people, with police in the middle, stand on grass
Big crowds gathered at Sydney Olympic Park to fight against COVID-19 restrictions.(ABC News)

NSW reported five new cases in the 24 hours to 8:00pm, one of which was a returned traveller in hotel quarantine. The rest were locally acquired and linked to the CBD cluster.

The total number of CBD cases is now 61.

NSW Health said a case to be reported in Sunday’s update is a health worker who did two shifts at hospital emergency departments while infectious.

The worker did a shift at Concord Hospital on September 1, from 2:00pm to midnight, and Liverpool Hospital on September 3, 8:00am to 6:00pm.

NSW Health’s Christine Selvey said the worker had worn full personal protective equipment at all times while dealing with patients.

“All patients and staff members who were in contact with the health professional are being contacted and are being advised to get tested and self-isolate,” she said.

Dr Selvey also reiterated an alert for Kuleto’s Cocktail Bar on King Street in Newtown, where one of today’s reported cases attended on the night of August 28.

Anyone who went to the bar for at least an hour between 6:30pm and 9:30pm must get tested and isolate for 14 days, regardless of a negative result.

Read more about coronavirus:

Meanwhile, the Bondi Bowling Club has been hit with a $10,000 fine after inspectors called it the “worst venue to date” for breaches of coronavirus rules.

Officials from Liquor and Gaming NSW visited the venue on August 29 and spotted multiple breaches of physical distancing and hygiene regulations.

Offences included groups of more than 10 people, no social distancing at the bar, patrons mingling, dirty cups and plates left on tables and inadequate sign-in processes.

A large group of people spotted at Bondi Bowling Club.
A large group of people spotted at Bondi Bowling Club.(Supplied)

Liquor and Gaming director of compliance Dimitri Argeres said the breaches had been discovered on a routine check.

“We are still on a cliff edge, but you wouldn’t know it if you went to Bondi Bowling Club on 29 August,” he said.

“The venue was operating as though the COVID safety measures were optional.

“This presented a pretty grim picture of patrons and staff who are simply ignoring the restrictions everyone else has to live with and putting the entire community at risk.”

The NSW liquor authority has launched a new safety feedback portal at the NSW Government website for people to submit complaints and suggestions about businesses under COVID-19 regulations.

To date, government inspectors have issued 105 fines totalling $469,000 for COVIDSafe breaches.

Previously, the Garry Owen Hotel in Rozelle had been tagged the worst offender by inspectors.

The pub, in Sydney’s inner-west, was slammed for “blatant non-compliance” with public health orders.

Bondi Bowling Club is a popular venue.
Bondi Bowling Club is a popular venue.(Facebook: Bondi Bowling Club)

Man’s bid to bribe NSW-Vic border police

On the state’s southern border, a man allegedly offered a police officer $1,000 in an envelope in a bid to enter NSW from Victoria.

A vehicle was stopped by police at the Barmah Bridge checkpoint on Friday afternoon.

The 66-year-old man could not produce a valid border permit and instead offered the money to police.

He was arrested and charged with bribing a member of the police.

He was given strict conditional bail and will appear before court in November.

Source link

Click here to go to the original Source of this story.


Get your CompTIA A+, Network+ White Hat-Hacker, Certified Web Intelligence Analyst and more starting at $35 a month. Click here for more details.

Leave a Reply

Shqip Shqip አማርኛ አማርኛ العربية العربية English English Français Français Deutsch Deutsch Português Português Русский Русский Español Español

National Cyber Security Consulting App







National Cyber Security Radio (Podcast) is now available for Alexa.  If you don't have an Alexa device, you can download the Alexa App for free for Google and Apple devices.