University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks a Senior Vice President & Chief Digital Officer (CDO) in the Office of the President. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the CDO will primarily be responsible for driving growth and strategic innovation of UMGC by transforming traditional business processes into digital enabled innovation creating new value through the planning and execution of digital tools, platforms, technologies, services, and processes.
The position will play a central leadership role in the development of policies and procedures for the general operation of the enterprise digital strategy and its related activities. The work of this strategic role will extend beyond traditional enterprise information technology (IT) management into the formation of digital strategies and technologies in key areas of the institution such as Marketing, Enrollment Management, Advancement, Finance, Financial Aid, student life cycle experience, and other mission critical University business operations that enable strategic innovation and business transformation.
As a digital transformation leader, this position will also be responsible for monitoring and analyzing technology and trends that will improve the University’s operations and performance and assimilating and integrating new digitally based innovations within the organization. This position directs the planning and implementation of enterprise IT systems in support of business operations in order to improve cost effectiveness, service quality and business development, while providing leadership for the overall effectiveness and operations for the IT division.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop a long range strategy and mission for an end-to-end strategy, design and implementation of the UMGC’s digital roadmap
- Establish an institution-wide commitment and collaborative approach to the creation and implementation of the long range digital vision, in an ever-changing digital landscape, within a complex administrative institutional environment
- Lead IT strategic and operational planning to achieve the College’s goals by fostering technological innovation, prioritizing IT initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future IT systems across the organization
- Collaborate with UMUC Ventures and Academic Affairs in learning technology design strategy and collaborating with Academic Affairs in the creation, implementation and scale of student success-oriented digital learning solutions
- Develop a long range plan for information architecture essential to the access, management and cross functional use of data analytics for administrative and academic insight
- Provide leadership and management of the UMGC’s IT infrastructure requirements and enterprise applications that support the college’s business processes, instruction and services
- Create an essential bridge between data and the business operations for academic administration and enrolled students
- Lead and oversee research designs and data gathering and analysis, which are used for assessment and business decisions by the administration and college community
- Drive the implementation of development best practices throughout UMGC, including but limited to, risk management, resource allocation, project prioritization, and research and recommendation of new systems and software products and services
- Connect digital investments to enterprise KPIs in order to achieve positive digital transformation
- Design, develop, and implement digital transformation IT systems, software applications, and IT support and infrastructure systems
- Lead daily operations of information technology services in support of all administrative, student services through the student life cycle from recruiting to graduation
- Conceive, direct and mange IT plans, schedules, policies and programs for the organization’s administrative and academic data environment according to established goals and objectives.
- Maintain security practices and technology to protect the University’s technology systems and data to ensure business continuity.
- Oversee Cyber security initiatives for the University
- Lead the development and enforcement of policy and procedures to ensure the protection of enterprise IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of information entrusted to or maintained by the enterprise
- Lead and manage digital technology related strategy, planning and execution activities across all UMGC units
- Conduct research and makes recommendations on hardware and software purchases and negotiates with vendors on behalf of the college to ensure cost-effective purchasing
- Lead and oversees the integrity and operation network infrastructure for data and telecommunications, enterprise servers for major college business functions and services, and data storage
- Provide leadership in the establishment of data management, data governance, data quality and data access
- Lead and oversee the help desk services, college and auxiliary websites, copier and print services and identity management system
- Lead and oversees services for staff and students that support computer technology, internet access, user applications, learning management systems and student accounts
- Ensure maximum up time and stability of the college’s computer systems and networks
- Direct the development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan
- Other job-related duties as assigned
Required education & experience:
- An earned Masters degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning in computer science, information technology, business information systems or a related discipline;
- at least ten years of significant management and supervisory experience as a CIO, CTO, or senior technology leader;
- recognized digital expert; seasoned IT transformational leader and experienced general manager in the adoption and execution of digital technologies across a broad spectrum of the entire higher education business enterprise;
- experience or strong familiarity with new, transformative applied concepts including but not limited to artificial intelligence, blockchain and other emerging innovation;
- experience in the implementation of institutional Cyber security policies, practices and standards across basic, foundational, and organizational domains;
- knowledge and practice of National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and Government Accountability Office (GAO) security standards;
- demonstrates a strong and current knowledge of computing, telecommunications, networking, and security and information technology;
- experience navigating through data management complexities in a global business environment;
- as well as experience contributing to profitability with an understanding of the relationship between business and corporate level technology strategy.
- Proven record of progressively responsible digital strategy leadership and managerial experience in information technology;
- demonstrated ability to lead, provide vision, and supervise a diverse staff of IT professionals and to provide leadership of a collaborative team to meet current and emerging technologies and security needs of an organization;
- demonstrated ability to work effectively within a large diverse organization of professionals and customers;
- experience with managing complex technology systems and applications;
- excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
- ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- performs while considering the impact of any actions on the organization’s sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity;
- work experience in higher education is also preferred.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & CLOSES TUESDAY, MAY 5, 2020
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.
University of Maryland University College actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, religion, color, creed, gender, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, mental or physical disability, veterans status or sexual orientation.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.