Info@NationalCyberSecurity
Info@NationalCyberSecurity

China hacked Ministry of Defence in massive data breach, it is claimed | #hacking | #cybersecurity | #infosec | #comptia | #pentest | #hacker


China has hacked the Ministry of Defence (MOD), according to reports.

Investigations into the breach, which is said to have been discovered a few days ago, are believed to have shown no data has been taken, Sky News reports.

MPs will be told on Tuesday of a massive MOD data breach, which targeted service personnel.

It is claimed the Chinese state is accused of two or three attempts at hacking an MoD contractor payroll system and current service personnel, officials and some veterans have been affected by the breach.

It is claimed that mainly names and bank details were hacked, but all salaries will be paid this month.

The system is reportedly not linked to the main MoD computer systems and has been suspended as a review has been launched.

The Government organisation is said to have been frantically trying to understand how widespread the breach is over the past 72 hours.

The MOD told i the affected system was a payroll system operated externally by contractors, which had details of serving personnel and military veterans, and was not connected to the main MoD computer.

The MOD claimed that once it was aware of the breach it immediately shut down the system.

A spokesman for the MOD said those affected will be given specialist support and offered free use of a data protection service, which will allow them to check if there has been any attempts to use their bank details without their knowledge.

They said most salaries have been paid as normal this month following the breach and the MOD would be giving a full update to Parliament tomorrow on it.

The added that the MOD could not confirm who was behind the hack and stressed it was not on an “operational military system” and did not store any “operational details” about armed forces.

The Metropolitan Police said it is not involved in any investigation into the breach at this stage.

The alleged breach comes after China was blamed by the Government in March for two “malicious” cyberattack campaigns in the UK involving the Electoral Commission.

At the time, Oliver Dowden, the deputy prime minister, announced that a group of three MPs and one peer had been targeted, including China hawk Iain Duncan Smith.

The group say they were reassured in a briefing by Parliament’s head of security that only a small number of parliamentarians had been affected.

Mr Dowden revealed the two incidents took place in 2021, and targeted attacks against China-sceptic MPs.

The identified targets were email accounts of members of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China (Ipac), a global group of parliamentarians with hawkish views on China.

——————————————————–


Click Here For The Original Story From This Source.

.........................

National Cyber Security

FREE
VIEW