AffairsCloud YouTube Channel – Click Here
AffairsCloud APP Click Here
We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 14 October 2022, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2022 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs September 2022 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2022 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
We are Hiring – Subject Matter Expert | CA Video Creator | Content Developers(Pondicherry)
Click here for Current Affairs 13 October 2022
Cabinet Approval on October 12 2022
On October 12, 2022, the Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister (PM) of India Narendra Modi has approved the following proposals which were detailed by Union Minister Anurag Singh Thakur, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) during media briefing in New Delhi, Delhi:
i.The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (MoP&NG) to give one time grant Rs 2200 crore to three Public Sector Undertaking Oil Marketing Companies (PSU OMCs) viz. Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL).
ii.The Cabinet also gave its nod to disbursement of productivity-linked bonus (PLB) of Rs 1,832.09 crores among 11,27,000 railway employees. This PLB is equivalent to 78 days, and its maximum limit is capped at Rs 17,951.
iii.The Cabinet also approved the central sector scheme, Prime Minister Development Initiative for North-eastern Region (PM-DevINE), which was announced in the Budget 2022. It was approved for the remaining four years of the 15th Finance Commission from FY23 to FY26 with an allocation of Rs 6,600 crore.
iv.The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by the PM has approved the development of Container Terminal at Tuna-Tekra, Deendayal Port in Gujarat on Build, Operate & Transfer (BOT) basis under Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) mode.
v.The Union Cabinet also approved the Multi-State Cooperative Societies (Amendment) Bill, 2022 which seeks to amend the Multi-State Cooperative Societies (Amendment) Bill, 2022. The Bill will incorporate the provisions of the 97th Constitutional Amendment.
>> Read Full News
CIL Signs MoUs with BHEL, IOCL and GAIL (India) Ltd for Setting up Coal Gasification Projects
Coal India Limited (CIL) signed a three Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), one each with 3 major Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs), Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) and GAIL (India) Limited for setting up four Surface Coal Gasification (SCG) projects under the aegis of Ministry of Coal.
- In addition, NLC India Limited (NLCIL) will be signing another MoU with BHEL.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Pralhad Joshi, Minister of Coal, Mines & Parliamentary Affairs and Mahendra Nath Pandey, Minister of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises. Debasish Nanda, Director (Business Development) signed on behalf of CIL.
i.The MoU is aimed at reducing forex outgo, promoting self-reliance, capitalising indigenous resources and also ensuring direct employment of around 1200 persons and indirect employment to over 20,000 persons.
ii.Under the MoU, four large scale coal-to-chemical projects will be set up in West Bengal, Odisha, Chattisgarh, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu through the SCG route at an aggregated estimated cost of Rs.35,000 crores.
- As on 1st October, 2022 the coal stock with thermal plants is around 24 million ton and by March 2023, around 40 million ton of coal stock will be available with thermal power plants.
iii.BHEL has conducted pilot studies with their Pressurised Fluidized Bed Combustion technology and customised it to suit the requirements of high-ash Indian coal, which will lead to commercialization of home-grown coal gasification technology.
Note – The Ministry of Coal Ministry has allocated Rs. 6,000 crores to support CPSEs by incentivizing implementation of 5 coal gasification plants and has also targeted to achieve 100 million ton (MT) coal gasification by 2030.
Attendees – Dr. V. K. Saraswat, Member(NitiAayog), Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Secretary (Coal), ArunGoyal, Secretary (Heavy Industries), Pankaj Jain, Secretary (MoPNG), Pramod Agrawal, Chairman, CIL, M. Nagaraju, Additional Secretary & Nominated Authority, CMDs of PSUs, and officials of Ministries of Coal , MoPNG& Heavy Industries & PSUs were present in the signing ceremony.
About Coal India Limited (CIL):
Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) – Pramod Agrawal
Headquarters – Kolkata, West Bengal
Establishment – 1975
Adani Group Receives Licence from DoT to Provide Telecom Services in 6 Circles
Adani Data Networks, a subsidiary of the Adani Group, has been granted a unified licence by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), Ministry of Communications, for access services in 6 circles: Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, and Mumbai.
i.Adani Data Networks has spent Rs. 212 crore for 400 MHz of spectrum in the 26 GHz band.
- In Gujarat and Mumbai, the company holds 100 MHz of 5G spectrum each, and in Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu, it has 50 MHz each.
The Government of India (GoI) earned a record-breaking Rs. 1,50,173 crores (~Rs 1.5 lakh crore) from India’s first-ever 5G spectrum auction, selling 71% of the total spectrum.
- Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited (Reliance Jio), owned by Mukesh Ambani, made the highest bid at the spectrum auction, winning a total of 24.7 GHz of spectrum for Rs. 88,078 crore.
About Adani Group:
Founder & Chairman – Gautam Adani
Established – 1988
>> Read Full News
Tamil Nadu Notifies India’s First Sanctuary for Endangered Slender Lorises
On 12th October 2022, The Tamil Nadu (TN) government notified the Kadavur Slender Loris Sanctuary, the first of its kind in India for the endangered Slender Loris in Karur and Dindigul districts of TN with a financial outlay of Rs. 5 crore until 2026.
- The sanctuary will be spread across a total of 11,806 hectares after merging the forest areas of the 5,700 hectares in Karur and 6,106 hectares in Dindigul districts.
About the sanctuary:
i.The Kadavur slender loris sanctuary will cover Vedasandur, Dindigul East and Natham taluks in the Dindigul district and Kadavur taluk in the Karur district.
- It also includes 4 reserve forests in dindigul including Pannamalai, Thanneerkaradu, Thopa Swamimalai and Mudumalai forest reserves and parts 11 reserve forests along with Palaviduthi and Sembiyanatham reserved forests of Karur district.
- In Dindigul district, 6,106 hectares and in Karur 5,700 hectares of forest land were added to create this sanctuary.
- Thoppaswamimalai reserved forest in Dindigul and Mullipadi reserved forest in Karur district are the 2 locations with largest population of lorises.
ii.Background – In April 2022, the establishment of India’s first wildlife sanctuary for slender loris in TN was made in the Legislative Assembly and further the government notified the sanctuary under Section 26 (A)(1)(b) of Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
iii.The largest population of slender lorises were recorded in Thoppaswamimalai reserved forest in Dindigul and Mullipadi reserved forest in Karur district with around 14,000 species.
Note – As a part of wildlife conservation, TN government has also notified India’s 1st Dugong Conservation Reserve in Palk Bay, Kazhuveli bird sanctuary in Villupuram, Nanjarayan Tank birds sanctuary in Tiruppur and TN’s 5th elephant reserve at Agasthyamalai in Tirunelveli.
About Slender Loris:
i.According to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), Slender Loris is listed as an endangered species and their survival depends on its habitat improvement, conservation efforts and mitigation of threats.
ii.The Slender Loris is a small nocturnal mammal that is arboreal in nature, which spends most of its life on trees and are native to India and Sri Lanka.
- Their genus comprises two species, the red slender loris found in Sri Lanka and the grey slender loris found in both India and Sri Lanka.
iii.Their lifespan is approximately 15 years and generally feed on insects, reptiles, plant shoots, and fruit. They are protected under Schedule I of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
iv.This species has a wide range of ecological importance in the terrestrial ecosystem since they act as biological predators of pests that harm agricultural crops and help farmers.
TC signs Cooperation Agreement with UNEP to promote Sustainability and Circularity in Textile Value Chain
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)and Textile committee (TC) have signed a cooperation agreement on designing a campaign on ‘Mainstreaming sustainability and circularity in the Textile sector’ to promote Sustainability in the Textile Value Chain in India.
- The Cooperation Agreement was exchanged between Ajit B Chavan, the Secretary of TC and Atul Bagai, Head of UNEP India Country Office in presence of the Secretary of the Ministry of Textiles, Upendra Prasad Singh.
- The Ministry of Textiles (MoT) organized a National level consultation on “Sustainability in the Textile Value Chain in India” with UNEP and the Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) while celebrating World Cotton Day 2022.
i. The Textile Value Chain (TVC) plays an important role in the world economy but at the same time, also adversely contributes towards the environment.
ii. The main objective of the meeting was to put forward and discuss the sustainability initiatives across the TVC.
iii. Currently, India is experiencing the challenge of balancing its growth in TVC with sustainability in the production & consumption of textiles.
iv. The UNEP India and TC have joined hands to support the Textile, Trade & Industry in this attempt with proactive support and guidance of Prajakta Verma, Joint Secretary Fibre who is heading the newly created Sustainability Cell in the Ministry of Textiles.
- The global textile industry emits 1.20 billion tonnes of CO2 a year
- Every second an equivalent of one garbage truck of textiles is either burnt or landfilled.
About Ministry of Textiles:
Minister of Textiles- Piyush Goyal
Headquarters- New Delhi, Delhi
Devusinh Chauhan releases Commemorative Postage Stamp on the Occasion of Golden Jubilee of PIN code
On 12th October 2022, the Minister of State (MoS) for Communications, Devusinh Chauhan released Commemorative Postage Stamp on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of the Postal Index Number (PIN) Code, in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Also launched E-Passbook, a feature for the account holders of Post Office Savings Bank (POSB) schemes.
- He also launhced ‘PLI Mobile Training App’ and virtually inaugurated newly constructed Post Office buildings of Vav & Sami Sub Post Office, Parcel Packaging Unit, Navrangpura Head Post.
About the E-Passbook:
i.The e-Passbook will offer the following services through an online webpage,
- Balance enquiry -for all the schemes
- Mini statement – for Savings Bank (SB), Public Provident Fund (PPF) and Sukanya Samriddhi Account(SSA)
- Full statement – not available on launch, will be introduced for POSB schemes in a phased manner.
Note: The customers will not need to have separate Internet Banking credentials or the Mobile Banking app.
i.The Minister launched the ‘PLI Mobile Training App’ which will provide online training and facilitate conducting of online licentiate examinations.
- The App contains training material in audio/visual mode and also a book which is a handy compilation of training material.
ii.He also virtually inaugurated the newly constructed Post Office buildings of Vav & Sami Sub Post Office, Parcel Packaging Unit, Navrangpura Head Post in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
Govt Accords Infrastructure Status to Data Centres with Over 5 MW Capacity
The Central Government has accorded infrastructure status to data centres that are situated in a dedicated or centralised building for storage and processing of digital data applications with more than 5 megawatt (MW) capacity of Information Technology (IT) load, for easier access to institutional credit at lower rates and attract foreign investments.
- As per the notification dated on 11th October 2022, data centre is included in the Harmonized Master List of Infrastructure sub-sectors by inserting a new item in the category of ‘Communication’.
i.Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced the infrastructure status for data centres with more than 5 megawatt (MW) capacity of IT load in the budget speech for FY23.
- The capacity of data centres is measured in terms of power they consume which will be reflected on the scale of the server on which they are hosting in their facilities.
ii.As per an ICRA (formerly Investment Information and Credit Rating Agency of India) report, in India, the data centres capacity has been expanding by both foreign and local firms and the expansion is projected at Rs. 1.05 lakh to 1.2 lakh crore investments in next 5 years.
- Indian firms such as the Hiranandani Group, Adani Group, and foreign investors including Amazon, EdgeConnex, Microsoft, CapitaLand, Mantra Group have started investing in Indian data centres.
- Also, the existing players like CtrlS, Nxtra, STT India are expanding their capacities in data centres.
Government scraps privatisation of SAIL’s Bhadravathi steel plant in Karnataka
On 12th October 2022, The Government of India (GoI) scrapped the privatization of the Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)’s Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (VISP), Bhadravathi in Karnataka due to insufficient bidder interest.
- GoI with the approval of Alternative Mechanism (Empowered Group of Ministers) decided to annul the Expression of Interest (EoI) and terminate the present transaction.
- The process of privatization was undertaken by the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM), Ministry of Finance.
- In October 2016, the govt. decided the strategic disinvestment of SAIL’s 100 per cent stake in VISP. The EoI from bidders was invited in July 2019.
CERT-In and Power-CSIRTs jointly conduct Cyber Security Exercise “PowerEX-2022”
The Computer Emergency Response Team- India (CERT-In) in collaboration with Power-CSIRTs (Computer Security Incident Response Teams in Power sector) designed & conducted the Cyber Security Exercise “PowerEX” for 193 invited Power Sector Utilities.
- The Objective of the exercise was to “Recognize, Analyse & Respond to Cyber Incidents in IT (Information Technology)& OT (Operational Technology) Systems.
- The theme of the exercise was “Defending Cyber induced disruption in IT & OT infrastructure”.
- The Exercise was hosted by CERT-In on its exercise simulation platform.
- More than 350 officials from various Power Sector Utilities participated in the event.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023: IISc Placed First in India; 75 Indian Institutions Featured in The Ranking
According to the ‘Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023’, the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru (IISc Bengaluru) in Karnataka has secured the number one spot among Indian universities.
- IISc Bengaluru is Ranked No. 1 among Indian institutions, falling into the 251-300 band after spending three years in the 301-350 band.
- It is also the only university in India to make the top 300 list.
With 75 institutes included in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2023, India is the fifth most represented country on the list. In 2020, 56 universities took part, up from 31 in 2017.
The ‘THE World University Rankings 2023’ feature 1,799 universities from 104 countries and regions, which is an increase of 137 over 2022. This makes the rankings the most comprehensive and diversified list of university rankings ever.
- For the seventh consecutive year, the University of Oxford is ranked first in the world.
- The number of United States (US) universities in the top 100 continues to decline, from 43 in 2018 to 34 in 2023.
>> Read Full News
UNICEF & Pure Earth Report Reveals India’s Economic Risk Towards Lead Poisoning
According to the 2020 report published by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Pure Earth, India bears the world’s highest health and economic burden with over 275 million children affected due to lead poisoning, out of 800 million children globally.
- This report was jointly published by UNICEF and Pure Earth in 2020, which was reviewed and published by the National Institute for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog in association with Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) in July 2022.
i.India accounts for 26 percent of global deaths due to lead exposure every year and 50 percent of children are with elevated blood lead levels (BLL) globally.
ii.India loses USD 236 billion in GDP per year, that can be equated to because of lead poisoning in children.
About Pure Earth:
Pure Earth is an international nonprofit organisation that are dedicated to solving toxic pollution problems and improving lives in low- and middle-income countries.
President – Richard Fuller
Global Headquarters – New York, United States (US)
India Headquarters – New Delhi, Delhi
Establishment – 1999
>> Read Full News
Living Planet Report 2022: Wildlife populations decline by 69% in 50 years
According to the ‘Living Planet Report 2022’, a flagship publication of the World Wide Fund For Nature (WWF), monitored wildlife populations – mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles, and fish — have declined by 69% on average since 1970.
- The Living Planet Report (LPR) 2022 is the 14th edition of the report, which is published every two years.
- It utilizes a number of indicators, including the the Living Planet Index (LPI), provided by the Zoological Society of London (ZSL).
Living Planet Report (LPR) 2022
LPR 2022 is a comprehensive study of global biodiversity and environmental health trends of the planet.
- The report cautioned that, while conservation efforts are beneficial, urgent transformative action is necessary to reverse biodiversity loss.
The Living Planet Index (LPI), which tracks roughly 32,000 populations of 5,230 species worldwide, reveals that the number of vertebrate animals is declining at an exceptionally alarming rate in tropical regions of the world.
i.Latin America and the Caribbean experienced the greatest decline (94%).
ii.During 1970 – 2018, wildlife populations in Africa fell by 66%, while those in Asia and the Pacific fell by 55%.
iii.Populations of freshwater species decreased 83% globally, indicating that the planet is currently going through a “biodiversity and climate crisis.”
iv.About half of the threats to monitored migratory fish species were induced by habitat loss and obstacles to migration routes.
v.In order to highlight “threat hotspots” for terrestrial vertebrates, WWF recognized six major threats to biodiversity: agriculture, hunting, logging, pollution, invasive species, and climate change.
vi.The data show that mangroves continue to disappear at a rate of 0.13 % annually due to aquaculture, agriculture, and coastal development.
- Along with other natural disturbances like storms and coastal erosion, many mangroves are also damaged by exploitation and pollution.
vii.Loss of mangroves results in loss of ecosystem services for coastal communities as well as habitat for biodiversity.
- Since 1985, the Sundarban mangrove forest in India and Bangladesh has lost around 137 square kilometres to erosion, diminishing the ecosystem services it provides to the people who live there.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI issues consolidated guidelines on Unhedged Foreign Currency Exposure
On October 11, 2022, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued modified and consolidated guidelines viz. ‘RBI (Unhedged Foreign Currency Exposure-UFCE) Directions, 2022’ w.e.f. January 1, 2023.
- These will be applicable to all commercial banks (excluding Payments Banks and Regional Rural Banks).
- These directions have been issued by RBI in exercise of the powers conferred under Section 35 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
Reason behind these guidelines:
The reason behind this move is to prevent or reduce losses to the banks from UFCE of the entities due to increased volatility in the foreign exchange rates. The losses incurred from UFCE reduce the capacity of banks to service the loans and increase their probability of default thereby affecting the health of the banking system
Key Points from Directions:
i.Banks are required to assess the UFCE of all counterparties to whom they have an exposure in any currency
ii.Banks will have to ascertain the Foreign Currency Exposure (FCE) of all entities at least annually.
iii.If the potential loss/Earnings before Interest and Depreciation (EBID) from an entity’s UFCE is more than 75%, banks are required to provide for a 25 percentage point increase in total risk weight, over and above the applicable risk weight to that entity.
- Banks will determine the potential loss to an entity from UFCE by using the largest annual volatility in the rupee-dollar exchange rate in the last 10 years.
Click Here for Official Notification
Paytm Collaborates with Jana Small Finance Bank to Roll Out Card Devices
The Paytm brand’s parent company, One97 Communications Ltd. (OCL), has partnered with Jana Small Finance Bank Limited (Jana Small Finance Bank) to deploy card machines in an effort to promote digitization among Indian merchants.
- With this agreement, Paytm and Jana Small Finance Bank intend to speed up the digital payments revolution in India.
i.With this collaboration, Jana Small Finance Bank will be able to offer Paytm’s All-in-One Electronic Data Capture (EDC) machines to its current and future customers, giving a one-stop solution for all of their digital payment needs.
- Paytm’s EDC devices and All-in-One POS devices offer the flexibility to accept a range of payment methods, integrated billing, and instant settlement.
ii.Paytm’s card machines enable its merchant partners to accept payments in many languages via Unified Payments Interface (UPI), credit/debit cards, net banking, international cards, Paytm Postpaid, PaytmWallet, and EMI.
- Additionally, the devices provide instant voice alerts and instant settlement, which makes merchant partners convenient.
- Paytm is the industry leader in offline payments, with over 4.5 million devices in use.
iii.The company has ties with prominent banks and also offers Goods and Services Tax (GST)-compliant billing systems, integrated billing and payments, customized solutions, and single reconciliation to merchants.
Note: Founder & CEO of OCL – Vijay Shekhar Sharma
About Jana Small Finance Bank Limited:
Jana Small Finance Bank was earlier known as Janalakshmi Financial Services. Janalakshmi Financial Services has been India’s leading microfinance provider since 2008.
MD & CEO – Ajay Kanwal
Commenced Banking Operations – 2018
Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka
SBI first bank to achieve this milestone, home loan AUM crosses Rs. 6 trillion
The State Bank of India (SBI) surpassed Rs 6 trillion in Assets Under Management (AUM) under the Home Loan segment.
- SBI launched the Festive Bonanza for its home loan buyers. The bank had crossed Rs 5 trillion mark in January 2021.
- SBI aims to make home loans affordable for all prospective buyers amidst the ongoing festive season.
- As a part of the Festive Bonanza, SBI will offer a concession of up to 0.25% on Home Loans, 0.15% on Top Up Loans, and 0.30% on Loan Against Property.
- The Bank also waived off the processing fees on home loans upto 31st Jan 2023.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Karur Vysya Bank re-appoints KG Mohan as board member for 3 yrs
On 12th October 2022, Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) re-appointed KG Mohan as its Non-Executive Independent Director for three years on its board member.
- He was re-appointed by the board in its meeting on September 22, 2022, for the second term of three years with effect from October 12, 2022, as an additional director under the independent category.
- KVB is a Scheduled Commercial Bank (SCB) in India, headquartered in Karur in Tamil Nadu. It was established in 1916.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
NSDL acquires 5.6% in e-comm Platform ONDC for Rs 10 crore
National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) acquired a 5.6% stake in the digital commerce platform Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC).
- The NDSL invested Rs.10 crore to buy 1 million shares which translates to a 5.6% equity stake.
- The strategic deal will strengthen the digital e-commerce ecosystem in India.
- ONDC is promoted by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), under the Ministry of Commerce and Industr
- It aims to provide a digital platform that aggregates sellers and buyers of various goods.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
CM Naveen Patnaik releases book on Odisha’s lessons in governance during pandemic
On 12th October 2022, The Chief Minister (CM) of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik released a book titled ‘Pandemic Disruptions and Odisha’s Lessons in Governance’ authored by Rajya Sabha Member of Parliament (MP) from Odisha, Dr Amar Patnaik. The book is published by Vitasta Publishing Private Limited.
- The book is a collection of the various essays on pertinent contemporary issues that emerged in India during the pandemic years of 2020-21 and 2021-2022.
- It also mentioned the emergence of the issue of data privacy and citizen’s right to privacy, issues related to disaster management and Odisha’s efforts to mitigate these calamities.
World Sight Day 2022 – October 13
World Sight Day is annually observed across the globe on the second Thursday of October to raise awareness among people regarding eye health and to recognize the work done by thousands of ophthalmologists across the world to fix the problem of vision impairment.
World Sight Day is also known as ‘World Eye Day’ or ‘World Vision Day’.
In 2022, World Sight Day falls on 13th October 2022.
- World Sight Day 2021 was observed on 14th October 2021
- World Sight Day 2023 will be observed on 12th October 2023.
The day is annually coordinated by the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IABP).
The theme for World Sight Day 2022 is “Love Your Eyes”.
The International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) decided to to continue World Sight Day 2021 theme of #LoveYourEyes for World Sight Day 2022 to build on the success of the campaign of the World Sight Day 2021.
>> Read Full News
International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2022 – October 13
The United Nations (UN)’s International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction is annually observed across the globe on October 13 to promote a global culture of risk awareness and disaster reduction.
- The day highlights how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters and raising awareness about the importance of reining in the risks that they face.
i. The theme of International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2022 is “Early Warning”, which is a call for investment in expanding early warning and early action for all.
ii. The UN General Assembly (UNGA) adopted a resolution A/RES/44/236 in 1989 and declared the 2nd Wednesday of October as the International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction (IDNDR).
- The first International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction (IDNDR) was observed on 10th October 1990.
iii. In 2009, the UNGA decided to change the name to International Day for Disaster Reduction by adopting a resolution A/RES/64/200 and designated October 13 as the Official date for the day.
- Since 2010, the Day is observed on the 13th of October every year.
About UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR):
Head of UNDRR- Mami Mizutori
Headquarters- Geneva, Switzerland
>> Read Full News
List of Current Governors in India – AUGUST 2022
List of Current Chief Ministers in India – AUGUST 2022
List of Less Important News – Click Here
*****Click Here View – AC Excluded News*****
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 14 October 2022|
|1||Cabinet Approval on October 12 2022|
|2||CIL Signs MoUs with BHEL, IOCL and GAIL (India) Ltd for Setting up Coal Gasification Projects|
|3||Adani Group Receives Licence from DoT to Provide Telecom Services in 6 Circles|
|4||Tamil Nadu Notifies India’s First Sanctuary for Endangered Slender Lorises|
|5||TC signs Cooperation Agreement with UNEP to promote Sustainability and Circularity in Textile Value Chain|
|6||Devusinh Chauhan releases Commemorative Postage Stamp on the Occasion of Golden Jubilee of PIN code|
|7||Govt Accords Infrastructure Status to Data Centres with Over 5 MW Capacity|
|8||Government scraps privatisation of SAIL’s Bhadravathi steel plant in Karnataka|
|9||CERT-In and Power-CSIRTs jointly conduct Cyber Security Exercise “PowerEX-2022”|
|10||Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023: IISc Placed First in India; 75 Indian Institutions Featured in The RankingTimes Higher Education World University Rankings 2023: IISc Placed First in India; 75 Indian Institutions Featured in The Ranking|
|11||UNICEF & Pure Earth Report Reveals India’s Economic Risk Towards Lead Poisoning|
|12||Living Planet Report 2022: Wildlife populations decline by 69% in 50 years|
|13||RBI issues consolidated guidelines on Unhedged Foreign Currency Exposure|
|14||Paytm Collaborates with Jana Small Finance Bank to Roll Out Card Devices|
|15||SBI first bank to achieve this milestone, home loan AUM crosses Rs. 6 trillion|
|16||Karur Vysya Bank re-appoints KG Mohan as board member for 3 yrs|
|17||NSDL acquires 5.6% in e-comm Platform ONDC for Rs 10 crore|
|18||CM Naveen Patnaik releases book on Odisha’s lessons in governance during pandemic|
|19||World Sight Day 2022 – October 13|
|20||International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2022 – October 13|