As the world gets more digitised, we are falling prey to those who seek to use these digital vulnerabilities against us. Yes, we are talking about hackers. While there are a few white-hat hackers who ‘hack for a good cause’ or do everything in their power to prevent the bad guys from getting in, there are a multitude of people who have no qualms about using your private information against you.
Here are a few ways you can protect yourselves:
1. Always update your software if its already not done automatically. Outdated software is full of vulnerabilities that hackers can use to get in and snoop around.
2. Cover your webcam with some medical tape or tape of equal thickness. There have been disturbing reports of hackers using your webcams to spy on you.
3. Always ensure that your laptop or computer are working alongside antivirus and anti-malware programs. These programs prevent the bad boys from getting in, or at the very least, give them a tough fight.
4. Destroy all traces of your personal info on hardware you plan on selling. Consider using d-ban to erase your hard drive, advises Malwarebytes.
5. Open wifi might be tempting but use caution while accessing it – hackers are always on the lookout and an open wifi is one doorway open too many.
6. The iCloud may be a helpful tool but please ensure you don’t upload sensitive data to the cloud. Better safe than sorry.