Good morning, River City!
Welcome to the Sacramento Daily Patch Newsletter! This is where you will find all of the best news and events happening in Sacramento for Wednesday July 7th, 2021!
First, today’s weather: Clear throughout the day. High: 94 Low: 57.
Here are the top stories today in Sacramento:
- The City of Sacramento is doubling its River Friendly Landscape rebates on water & energy saving home improvement projects until Dec. 31, 2021. You can get money back on everything from removing grass to upgrading to an energy efficient washing machine. They’ll even give you an irrigation controller absolutely free. (KCRA3)
- A beloved tradition lives on. The 8th Grade Awards continued this year, even though its founding father Frank Withrow, known in the district as the “Kappa Rappa” passed away last August of cancer. His widow, Ms. Massie Withrow, made sure the high achieving 8th graders got their recognition before entering high school. (The Observer)
- Several businesses on Laguna Creek Drive in Elk Grove were evacuated Tuesday morning due to a bomb threat. Elk Grove PD tweeted “Out of an abundance of caution, businesses and individuals in the area have been contacted while we investigate.” But later in the day the police determined it was a false threat. The caller has been identified and detained. (ABC10)
- Sacramento home owners who bought newly constructed homes are seeing a major delay in move in dates. The builders agree there have been significant delays and say they are due to supply chain and labor shortages. That’s little consolation for this homeowner who says her move in date has been delayed for months and it’s costing her an arm and a leg in storage and hotel fees. (CBS Sacramento)
- Members of the Antelope Crossing Middle School Parent Teacher Club spent Monday morning cleaning up the aftermath of a slew of illegal firework activities. The volunteers gathered hundreds of pounds of spent explosives. Most troubling was that they found dangerous leftovers including smoking piles of ash and even one unexploded firework. District officials say they will take legal action against those responsible. (FOX40)
Today’s Sacramento Daily is brought to you by our friends at GoodRx — the best way to save money on your prescriptions. GoodRx helps you locate the lowest prices for medications at local pharmacies, so you’re not overpaying. Works for pet medications too! To see how much you can save, go to GoodRx.com.
Wednesday’s events in Sacramento
- Food Truck Mania hits Old Town Elk Grove! SactoMoFo presents a panoply of your favorite food trucks including Bangin’ Bowls and Nash & Proper. Do you think they’ll have the fried chicken and ice cream sandwich available? (5 pm)
- Do you have an event coming up where you want to wow the crowd? Learn how to craft your very own beautiful artisanal charcuterie board. This two hour class includes instruction and a board for two to take home. $75 (6 pm)
- Is your favorite part of yoga the savasana? Maybe this class is for you. You’ll do some breathwork and meditation, followed by a light flow and then an extended savasana with a sound bath. Ahhhhhh….. $30 (5 pm)
- If you’re looking to meet your special someone, how about trying speed dating at the Dive Bar? Who knows? Maybe a mermaid will make all of your dreams come true. (8 pm)
- Sac Republic takes on the Oakland Roots at Heart Health Park. Tickets start at $16 (8 pm)
Sacramento Patch Notebook
- Fourth of July throwback! It was 1972 and, apparently, bell bottoms and unicycles were all the rage for square-dancing in the streets of Old Sacramento to celebrate the 4th!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Wednesday! I’ll see you around. If you’re enjoying these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Jeri Karges
About me: Jeri Karges has been living in and loving the Sacramento region for over 30 years. Her passion is finding new and unique ways to enjoy the city and surrounding areas. On weekends, you can find her pestering her friends to sample the restaurant that doesn’t have silverware, or try their hand at throwing an axe. Jeri also enjoys writing about retirement planning at https://rockinretirement.subst…
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Sacramento Daily? Email all inquiries to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.