If you are receiving the Windows Update error code 0x800700c1 while updating your Windows 10 computer, the suggestions in this post might help you fix the issue. This error mainly occurs when you try to install a Feature update to Windows 10. The entire error message goes like this:
There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help. Feature update to Windows 10 – Error 0x800700c1.
Windows Update Error Code 0x800700c1
There are many reasons for which Windows 10 throws update error messages, like the corrupted files, corrupted update components, etc. We have added some useful options that might help. But before you begin, we suggest you try some quick fixes:
- Restart your Windows 10 computer and see if it helps
- Sometimes your antivirus tool can create trouble during a Windows 10 update. Therefore, you should temporarily disable your antivirus tool and try to update your system. Don’t forget to enable the antivirus again as it protects your system from malware and other security attacks
- Run SFC scan and DISM scan to repair the corrupted Windows system image and components.
If these quick fixes do not solve your issue, try the solutions described below:
- Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- Delete the temporary Windows Update files from the SoftwareDistribution folder
- Change the startup type of the Windows Installer service to Automatic.
- Install Windows Update via Media Creation tool
Let’s check these solutions one by one.
1] Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with different types of built-in troubleshooters that are helpful to fix various kinds of problems. When you encounter Windows Update error problems, the first thing that you should do is run the Windows Update troubleshooter. For this, follow these steps:
- Open Settings app using Win+I hotkey
- Access Update & Security category
- Access Troubleshoot page using the left section
- Click on the Additional troubleshooters option available on the right section
- Click on the Windows Update option
- Press the Run the troubleshooter button.
Let the troubleshooting process complete and this might solve your problem.
2] Delete the temporary Windows Update files from the SoftwareDistribution folder
The SoftwareDistribution folder temporarily store Windows Update files. If any of those files are corrupted, you may experience this Windows Update error 0x800700c1 issue. Hence, one option to fix this error is to delete all the temporary Windows Update items present in the Downloads folder located inside the SoftwareDistribution folder. The steps for the same are as follows:
- First, you have to stop the Windows Update Service. For this, type services in the Search box of Windows 10
- Press the Enter key. This will open the Services app window
- Scroll down the list of available services to find the Windows Update service. Once you find it, right-click on it
- Use the Stop option
- Now, access C drive or where you have installed Windows
- Open the Windows folder
- Open SoftwareDistribution folder
- Access the Downloads folder present under the SoftwareDistribution folder
- Select all the files and folders available in the Downloads folder
- Press the Delete key
- Open the Services app
- Right-click on the Windows Update service
- Use the Start option.
This might help you download and install the Windows Update.
3] Change the startup type of the Windows Installer service to Automatic
Change the startup type of the Windows Installer service to Automatic and see if it helps. We have listed the instructions for the same below:
- Type services in the Search box
- Press the Enter key to open the Services app
- Scroll down the list of services available in the Services app to find the Windows Installer service
- Double-click on Windows Installer service and its properties window will open
- Press the Start button if the service is stopped
- Select Automatic option available in the Startup type drop-down menu (if the option is not greyed out)
- Click on the OK button.
4] Install Windows Update via Media Creation tool
You can also try to upgrade your computer using the Media Creation tool. It is a powerful tool developed by Microsoft Corporation that users can use to upgrade their computers to the latest available version or create installation media for Windows 10.
Hope this helps.
How do I fix Windows Update errors?
As we have mentioned earlier in this article, Windows Update errors occur due to many causes. Sometimes, updates also fail due to weak or fluctuating WiFi signals. Whatever the cause is, you can try some general methods to fix Windows Update errors.
How do I reset Windows Update components?
Windows Update components are the essential part of Windows Update. When these components get corrupted (for any reason), you may receive many errors while trying to update Windows. In such a case, you can fix the Windows Update errors by resetting the Windows Update components to default.