We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Glassy Eyewear is an online retailer selling prescription glasses, sunglasses, and gaming glasses. With endorsements from skateboarders and gamers, Glassy Eyewear caters primarily to youthful consumers with a distinct sense of style.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Glassy Eyewear was formerly Glassy Sunhaters. Brothers Vince and Mikemo Capaldi founded Glassy Sunhaters in 2011 as an affordable sunglasses brand with a youthful image. By sponsoring professional skateboarders, Glassy Sunhaters built a national reputation and was able to gain distribution with international retailers.
In subsequent years, the company expanded its range of eyewear and changed its name to Glassy Eyewear. It now offers:
- prescription eyeglasses
- specialist gamer glasses, which the company says help eliminate eye strain and fatigue from gaming.
Glassy Eyewear built a reputation among gamers by collaborating with Twitch streamers, people who live stream themselves playing video games on the Twitch Interactive platform.
At the time of writing, Glassy Eyewear has a B- rating with the Better Business Bureau. It does not have accreditation with the bureau, and there is one unanswered customer complaint concerning delivery.
On Facebook, the brand has a 4.6 out of 5 star rating based on 38 customer reviews. The one negative review with a comment references loose screws and poor quality. All other reviews with comments are positive and praise the:
- product quality and comfort
- customer services
- speed of delivery
On Amazon, most Glassy Eyewear reviews are positive. Comments vary by product, but many positive reviews mention the quality and fit of the glasses. Many users said gaming glasses reduced their eye strain and discomfort following long hours in front of screens. Some reviewers said that they owned multiple pairs of Glassy Eyewear glasses and would recommend the company’s products to family and friends.
Complaints usually concern difficulty tracking down products when shipping had gone awry and issues with product quality.
Glassy Eyewear offers:
- Prescription glasses: The company sells stylish, youthful frames with antireflection and antiscratch lens coatings. Blue light-blocking gamer lenses are available.
- Sunglasses: Glassy Eyewear offers a wide range of standard and high-fashion sunglasses, with or without a prescription. The company collaborates with professional skateboarders to make sunglasses with the outdoor adventurer in mind. Some frames are available with polarized lenses.
- Gamer glasses: Glassy Eyewear says that its gamer glasses protect against eye damage resulting from hours spent in front of digital devices. The glasses are antireflective and have UV420 protection to block blue light. They are available with or without a prescription.
- Kids‘ glasses: The company sells sunglasses and gamer glasses in sizes for children.
- Accessories: Glassy Eyewear also offers:
- eyewear straps, in three thicknesses
- a foldable hard case
- a cleaning kit
- brand stickers
Ordering from Glassy Eyewear online is straightforward. A person needs to submit a valid prescription for prescription lenses.
The company does not accept insurance, but it does offer discounts for veterans, active-duty military personnel, and their dependents.
Refunds and returns
For orders within the United States, Glassy Eyewear offers refunds, returns, and exchanges within 14 days after the customer has received their product. The glasses can be tried on, but they need to be unused, undamaged, and in their original packaging for a return.
Glassy Eyewear provides a lifetime warranty for factory defects affecting nonprescription glasses. The company also covers prescription lenses and frames for the duration of the prescription’s validity. Under Glassy Eyewear’s free accidental coverage, it says it will replace damaged glasses up to two times for the cost of shipping.
Below are some other brands that offer specialist eyewear:
Gunnar Optiks was founded in 2007 with the aim of helping to prevent and treat digital eye strain. It is now a leader in gaming glasses.
The company specializes in glasses that offer blue light protection and accommodate gaming headsets. Their other products include:
- computer glasses with sophisticated frames
- blue light glasses for children, including very young children, and teens
All the above options are available with prescription lenses. Learn more about Gunnar Optiks here.
Zenni is a major online eyewear retailer. It provides a wide range of glasses for men, women, and children, including blue light-blocking gamer glasses and a variety of sunglasses, some of which are customizable. These are available with or without prescription lenses.
Learn more about Zenni Optical here.
Happy Hour is a skateboard company based in Finland with a product line that has expanded to include sunglasses. The company has:
- low-cost frames
- polarized lenses
- mirrored visors
- tinted glasses shaped like mushrooms
To support vision health, it is important to have regular eye examinations and wear sunglasses that protect the eyes from damaging UV rays. A person should opt for sunglasses that block 99–100% of UVA and UVB rays.
The efficacy of protective eyewear for extended computer work or gaming is more controversial. A 2019 study found that 4 continuous hours of gaming could impair visual function and cause ocular fatigue. However, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), no scientific evidence suggests that these issues result from the blue light emitted from computer screens. As such, the AAO do not recommend gaming glasses.
To help the eyes focus, try taking a 20-second break every 20 minutes and looking at an object at least 20 feet away. This is commonly known as the 20-20-20 rule. It can help to set an alarm as a reminder.
People who are concerned about the effects of digital eye strain may also benefit from:
- increasing screen text size
- using artificial tears to lubricate the eyes
- blinking more often, as people tend to blink less when looking at screens
- angling the computer screen 15–20 degrees below eye level
- avoiding sitting too close to the computer screen
- positioning the computer screen to avoid glare from overhead lighting or windows
Glassy Eyewear sells sunglasses and blue light-blocking glasses with or without prescription lenses. Medical experts recommend wearing sunglasses that block 99–100% of UVA and UVB rays. But there is little scientific evidence that blue light-blocking glasses prevent digital eye strain.
Glassy Eyewear is one of several online eyewear retailers selling gaming or blue light-blocking glasses. Some other brands with similar products include Gunnar Optiks, Zenni, and Happy Hour. It is a good idea to shop around to find the brand and products that best suit individual needs.