(Indianapolis, IN) – Governor Eric Holcomb has announced the approval of more than $29.8 Million in matching state grants for school safety.
Earlier this year, the Indiana General Assembly approved Gov. Holcomb’s 2023 Next Level Agenda budget proposal to increase the Secured School Safety Grant (SSSG) by $25M each year.
As a result of additional funding from the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) budget, all application requests, totaling 605 projects for 474 schools across the state, were approved.
“These school safety grants represent another example of historic investments in public safety,” Gov. Holcomb said. “I am pleased we are able to financially support every school that identified safety as a top priority.”
Since 2013, Indiana has invested in school safety, when the SSSG program was initiated.
For this fiscal year, $29,824,803.67 in school safety funding was approved.
The list of recipient schools and the total amount of their awards can be found here.
Local recipients are as follows:
- Batesville Community School Corporation $100,000
- Decatur County Community Schools $100,000
- Franklin County Community School Corporation $100,000
- Greensburg Community Schools $87,592.90
- Jac-Cen-Del Community School Corporation $50,000
- Milan Community Schools $25,000
- Oldenburg Academy $15,000
- Saint Louis School $40,000
- Saint Michael School-Brookville $21,982.50
- South Ripley Community School Corporation $88,610
- Southeastern Career Center $50,000
- Sunman-Dearborn Community School Corporation $100,000
The performance period for the grants begins September 1.
“Since the inception of the Secured Schools Safety Grant program, we have listened to schools across the state about what they see as their greatest needs in the way of safety,” said IDHS Executive Director Joel Thacker. “As a result, this year we can offer more eligible funding categories than ever before, leading to safer schools and an overall better learning environment. “