Watch a virtual Q and A on Coronavirus with Governor Carney and Secretary of Health and Social Services Dr. Odom Walker at 11am today. Watch
Office of the Governor
In the 2023 State of the State address, Governor Carney committed to focusing on the issues that matter in Delawareans everyday lives:
- Access to good jobs.
- Excellent public schools.
- A safe and affordable place to live.
- And vibrant communities where folks can raise a family.
Governor Carney ended this legislative session by signing legislation and a balanced, $5.5 billion operating budget that makes sustainable investments in each of these priority items.
Investing in Education
Action and Investments
- 9% raises for classroom teachers
- Increased funding to lower pre-k student-teacher ratios
- Investing an additional $10 million to increase Purchase of Care rates to 100% of the 75th percentile of the 2021 market rate, to better support programs and children in need.
- Doubling funding going to the Early Childhood Assistance Program (ECAP) to $12.2 million, to serve more 3- and 4-year-olds, and provide programs with more resources.
- Strengthened mentoring supports by hiring an Out of School Time Officer and dedicating funding to support the School Mentoring and Literacy Task Force’s recommendations
Protecting Delaware’s Natural Heritage
- Passed the Climate Solutions Act to reduce greenhouse emissions
- Create School Bus Program
- Pass legislation to create an Electric Vehicle Rebate Program
- Allocate $31.8 million to improve Delaware’s drainage, drinking water, and water resources
- Dedicate $7.5 million to protect shorelines and beaches
- Fund the Tree for Every Delawarean Initiative
Keeping Delaware’s Roadways Safe
- Curbs speeding and reckless driving
- Expand “Move Over” protections
- Protect motorcyclists
- Strengthen child safety seat requirements
- Enable green lights on snow plows to increase visibility
Community Safety and Security
- Preventing gun violence by banning guns at schools and polling places
- Pass legislation to curb the use of xylazine
Safe and Affordable Housing
- Protects a tenants right to counsel in eviction proceedings
- The Fiscal Year 24 budget is the largest housing investment in Delaware history, and strengthens initiatives including:
- Catalyst Fund
- Accelerator Fund
- Market Pressure Relief Fund
- Preservation Fund
Investing in the Economy of the Future
- Pass legislation to strengthen Delaware’s ability to attract and grow businesses
- Continue key investments in economic development programs