Recently, the cybersecurity researchers at CYFIRMA found that hackers are actively using “Mystic Stealer Malware,” a new information stealer.
It’s been claimed that in an underground forum, this new information stealer is actively advertised by the threat actors, and for their operations, they use a Telegram channel.
More than 50 active C2 servers were detected during the OSINT investigation, and this count depicts the rapid growth of this threat and how increasingly it’s becoming common.
Mystic Stealer Malware
In renowned underground forums, the ‘Mystic Stealer’ appeared for the first time in late April 2023.
With the following key things that are advertised, this info-stealer managed to attract huge attention:-
- Exceptional features
- Robust capabilities
- Competitive Pricing
As time went by, the information stealer was shared with the forum’s skilled members for them to try it.
They tested it, confirmed it worked well, and also gave useful suggestions to its developers for making it even better.
The threat actors carefully integrated these recommendations into the stealer, leading to continuous updates and enhancements.
Using code manipulation techniques to outsmart most antivirus products, Mystic Stealer achieves a low detection rate according to AV checks.
Here below, we have mentioned the subscription charges for the Mystic Stealer:-
- For a single-month subscription, it will cost you $150.
- For a three-month subscription, it will cost you $390.
The malware can target all Windows versions and is compatible with both x86 and x64 platforms.
Here below, we have mentioned the Windows versions that could be targeted:-
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows 11
To avoid detection, researchers said it operates within the computer’s memory and exploits system calls to compromise targets, ensuring that no evidence is left behind on the hard drive while stealing data.
The malware is designed to operate independently, without needing external libraries, and for improved performance, it includes its own custom browser database parser.
Capabilities of stealer
Here below, we have mentioned all the capabilities of the Mystic Stealer:-
- Steals Passwords from Mozilla and Chromium browsers
- Steals cookies from Mozilla and Chromium browsers
- Steals autofill data from Mozilla and Chromium browsers
- Steals credit card details from Mozilla and Chromium browsers
- Steals history from Mozilla and Chromium browsers
- Support for over 70 Cryptocurrency wallet extensions
- Outlook password collection
- Files according to user settings
- Gathers System Information
- Take Screenshot
Targets of Stealer
Mystic Stealer mainly targets companies that handle sensitive data, such as:-
- Personally identifiable information (PII)
- Financial records
- Intellectual property
Mystic Stealer might focus on industries like healthcare, finance, and technology because of the significant value associated with the data they hold.
Not only that, but even Mystic Stealer also targets the users actively involved in cryptocurrency transactions.
Here Below we have mentioned all the recommendations:-
- Make sure to implement robust security measures.
- Threat Intelligence and Monitoring is completely an essential exercise.
- Make sure to train and be aware employee about the current threat scenario and necessary security measures.
- Incident Response and Recovery Planning are a must.
Looking For an All-in-One Multi-OS Patch Management Platform – Try Patch Manager Plus