(844) 627-8267
(844) 627-8267

Hong Kong secondary school’s computer servers hacked, with access to 4 years’ worth of data blocked | #hacking | #cybersecurity | #infosec | #comptia | #pentest | #hacker

A Hong Kong secondary school has said its servers were hacked earlier this month, with access to personal information of students, staff and parents from the past four years blocked.

The Hong Kong Institute of Contemporary Culture Lee Shau Kee School of Creativity in Kowloon City confirmed the incident on Saturday.

It said IT staff discovered on May 13 that access had been blocked to about eight terabytes of school data, containing the personal details of students, parents and staff over the past four years, including those who graduated in 2021.

Information on the school’s tenants, organisations it had worked with and administrative documents were also among the trove of data.

“The school immediately shut down its campus network to prevent the spread of the impact,” it said, adding it reported the hack to authorities including the Education Bureau and police on the same day.

“We have informed students and parents already, and will continue to reach out to affected alumni, tenants and organisations once the data has been restored.”

The school said it remained unclear whether the data had been leaked, but urged people to beware of strange communication attempts.

It also said a school-wide computer scan and reinstallation works were expected to last around a week, while temporary internet access plans would be set up for teaching purposes.

“We apologise for the inconvenience to those affected,” the school said.

The bureau said it was aware the school had taken immediate action, and urged it to carry out a comprehensive investigation as well as thoroughly review its information system.

Last month, Union Hospital in Tai Wai revealed it had fallen prey to a ransomware attack, which was discovered after staff found abnormalities in its network system, including some missing computer files.

Hackers then demanded a ransom of US$10 million, which the hospital refused to pay.


Click Here For The Original Story From This Source.


National Cyber Security