Location: Greenwood Village, CO, US, 80111
Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont’s core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
- Audit the activities including those that relate to IT of various departments and entities of the Company to determine adherence to established plans, policies, procedures and good business practices.
- Fulfill team leader role on certain audits without direct supervision and participate in more complex audits under the direction of the Global Internal IT Audit Manager.
- Assist the Global IT Internal Audit Manager in the development of data analytics as a fundamental component of the audit approach to increase audit effectiveness.
Under general supervision, performs the following functions:
- Perform assignments requiring understanding and application of audit principles, practices, and concepts.
- Actively participate in, conduct, and lead Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) IT General Computer Control (ITGC) reviews.
- Devise own methods to accomplish objectives and/or audits while leveraging Internal Audit’s methodology.
- Complete planning work on assigned segments of the audit and in determining the extent of audit testing and workpaper content.
- Review transactions, documents, records, reports, processes, and procedures and prepare audit workpapers, recording and summarizing data.
- Discuss audit findings with stakeholders to verify facts, obtain background information to support conclusions, and reach agreement.
- Assist, as requested, with the summarization of audit findings and the preparation of formal audit reports.
- Assist in the preparation of presentations of audit results.
For specific assignments as team leader, duties and responsibilities include:
- Provide field audit supervision.
- Establish a central interface during the audit.
- Provide leadership to the other auditors participating in the audit.
- Ensure communication of audit objectives developed in the planning process.
- Develop audit planning documentation addressing scope, audit objectives, budgeted hours, fieldwork and reporting dates, audit personnel, and assignment of work.
- Responsible for completion of audit addressing all audit objectives, stakeholder management, control, monitor and report on audit progress, review workpapers, ensuring workpapers provide adequate support of conclusions while complying with workpaper standards.
- Responsible for development of draft audit report, including management comments.
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of audit results.
Scope of assignments can include:
- Audit the IT infrastructure, SAP application and associated infrastructure and key systems projects or significant IT changes at each Newmont site.
- Audit the financial and statistical data of various departments and locations of the organization.
- Audit the activities of various departments for compliance with established plans, policies, procedures and applicable regulations.
- Document, assess and test internal controls surrounding financial reporting in order to ensure compliance with SOX.
- Develop and provide assistance in the implementation of internal controls to ensure proper financial reporting and adherence to company policies, procedures, and applicable regulations.
- Audit operational processes, consults with stakeholders, and assists stakeholders in making the process more effective through redesign/re-engineering.
- Review and appraise the soundness, adequacy, and application of financial, operational, and compliance controls to ensure effective control at a reasonable cost.
- Partner with stakeholders to identify constructive and value-added solutions to address issues identified.
- Perform or assist in the performance of special assignments requested by management.
- Responsible for communication with external auditors where necessary and appropriate for the specific project.
- Comply with the Standards for Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, published by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems management, accounting, business administration or related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience, ideally a combination of “Big 4” public accounting and industry.
- CISA, CISM, CPA, CIA or equivalent designation.
- Current SAP experience required.
- Requires a high level of technical skills in IT general control and SAP auditing techniques.
- Experience with data analytic tools and processes (e.g. ACL).
- Experience in information systems auditing and pre-implementation review of information system projects.
- Experience performing SOX controls testing.
- Knowledge of the mining industry a plus.
- Knowledge of TeamMate audit software a plus.
Most important competencies:
- builds effective working relationships
- impact and influence
- leads through vision and values
- a continuous improvement mindset
- effective communication
- Position is located in the Denver corporate office.
- Travel (up to 10%) to domestic or foreign locations for short to extended periods of time may be required to conduct audits.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Nearest Major Market: Denver
Job Segment: Internal Audit, Audit, Manager, ERP, Engineer, Finance, Management, Technology, Engineering