Job Summary – IT Developer / Accessibility Engineer
IT Developers are responsible for development, programming, coding of Information Technology solutions. IT Developers are responsible for documenting detailed system specifications, participation in unit testing and maintenance of planned and unplanned internally developed applications, evaluation and performance testing of purchased products. IT Developers are responsible for including IT Controls to protect the confidentiality, integrity, as well as availability of the application and data processed or output by the application. IT Developers are assigned to moderately complex development projects.
Essential Job Functions
· Conduct accessibility assessments via manual reviews, automated test tools, and assistive technologies.
· Report missing elements found in system and functional requirements and explain impacts on subsystem to team members.
· Develop and adapt web accessibility guidelines to follow industry standards and ensure proper implementation and testing across applications
· Write detailed technical specifications for subsystems.
· Write code for moderately complex system designs. Write programs that span platforms. Code and/or create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
· Assist project teams to resolve accessibility issues/findings with regards to overall experience, keyboard access, usability, or technical considerations
· Participate in requirements gathering, definition, and design of new or changing applications
· Design, develop, and maintain dynamic user interfaces for multiple web applications
· Perform code reviews for development, performance optimization, debugging, troubleshooting code and implementing cross-browser compatibility
· Perform unit testing and debugging. Set test conditions based upon code specifications. May need assistance from other IT Developers and team members to debug more complex errors.
· Mentor team members and provide technical guidance, coordination and support for maintaining accessibility of digital properties.
· Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team that includes user experience designers, visual designers, content specialists, and developers during ideation, design, and development.
· Consult with other IT Developers, Business Analysts, Systems Analysts, Project Managers and vendors.
· Consult with the team throughout development and rollout to ensure accessibility concerns are understood, implemented and communicated appropriately.
· Follow and assist with the evolution of corporate front-end standards and branding guidelines to developer coding patterns for reuse
· Supports transition of application throughout the Product Development life cycle. Document what has to be migrated. May require more coordination points for subsystems.
· Researches vendor products / alternatives. Conducts vendor product gap analysis / comparison.
· Accountable for including IT Controls and following standard corporate practices to protect the confidentiality, integrity, as well as availability of the application and data processed or output by the application.
· Other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements
· 5 or more years of IT development/programming/coding professional work experience or equivalent combination of transferrable experience and education.
· 5 or more years of work experience developing under web accessibility guidelines (WCAG 2.0 AA, ARIA), requirements, and assistive technology·
· Florida Blue experience
· 3 to 5 years of work experience in user interface development
· Demonstrated ability to analyze and develop standards / guidelines to code for WCAG and ARIA guidelines
· Experience with screen readers and other accessibility testing tools. NDVA, ChromeVox, JAWS, aXe, AMP, color contrast checkers
· Proficient with rapid prototyping and demonstrated ability to work HTML/CSS from a text editor
· Bachelor’s degree in an IT related field or equivalent work experience
· Experience and understanding with unit testing, release procedures, coding design and documentation protocol as well as change management procedure
· Proficiency using versioning tools
· Thorough knowledge of Information Technology fields and computer systems
· Demonstrated organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
· Flexible team player
· Ability to manage tasks independently and take ownership of responsibilities
· Ability to learn from mistakes and apply constructive feedback to improve performance
· Must demonstrate initiative and effective independent decision-making skills
· Ability to communicate technical information clearly and articulately
· Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment
· In-depth understanding of the systems development life cycle
· Proficiency programming in more than one object oriented programming language
· Proficiency using standard desktop applications such as MS Suite and flowcharting tools such as Visio
· Proficiency using debugging tools
· High critical thinking skills to evaluate alternatives and present solutions that are consistent with business objectives and strategy
· You will be working in a rapid and iterative environment. You must be able to manage a dynamic workload to balance priorities with deadlines to effectively meet project needs
· Must be able to communicate effectively with other members of the UI team, technical teams, and business partners
· Proficient in turning product requirements into detailed clickable prototypes
• Experience using Agile methodology
• Specific tools, languages and specialty skills may vary
• Relevant Development certifications
• Experience with responsive grid systems a plus.
• Experience with Dust.js, React.js, or Angular.js a plus