Description of Work
RECRUITMENT RANGE: $75,973.00 – $103,767.00
SALARY GRADE: 28
The North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts (NCAOC) seeks a qualified IT Mainframe Manager to responsible for managing the operations of the Enterprise Computing Services environment and oversight of the processes required to maintain resource capacity utilization levels and software support levels, including project management.
This position is also responsible for defining the requirements and developing solutions for mainframe technology system architectures necessary to meet the North Carolina Judicial Branch business needs. The person in this position serves as a technical expert for multiplatform systems and multiple technologies.
The IT Mainframe Manager is accountable for communicating, planning, and providing leadership to the Enterprise Computing Services team. The IT Mainframe Manager provides direction to project and functional resources within and outside their reporting structure, gather, support, and develop the resources needed to execute the plan, champion the tactical direction of work, and remove barriers within sphere of influence.
Primary responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead cross function initiatives, projects, and discussions; anticipate and mitigate cross functional issues.
- Provide thorough subject area expertise in the mainframe space.
- Drive Mainframe infrastructure planning; develop strategies and initiatives; determine current and future enterprise computing infrastructure needs.
- Communicate with vendors, suppliers, and executive management to ensure availability of mainframe infrastructure technologies and support.
- Lead the development and adoption of best practices for technology architecture and management.
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture team to optimize technology investments.
- Recommend IT strategies, policies, and procedures by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; and anticipating requirements.
- Manage and provide support to changes to z/OS and installed SW followed by documentation; participate in analyzing, planning, and implementation of upgrades to z/OS and installed SW.
- Manage and provide support of new products installation, testing, and customization.
- Collaborate with other IT product managers in developing new capabilities and ensuring appropriate alignment and integration.
- Accomplish staff results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching/counseling; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures.
This position reports to the IT Infrastructure & Ops Administrator and directly supervises a staff of approximately 20 employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
Knowledge of: z/OS services structure; JES concepts; GRS Ring/Star; catalog management; z/OS environment (TSO/ISPF, REXX, JCL, subsystems, CICS, DB2, MQ, TWS, RACF); SYS1.PARMLIB configuration; JES customization; USS management; JCL, optionally REXX or ASSEMBLER; z/OS HW; LPAR; HMC; product installations and maintenance (SMPE); business priorities; industry trends; customization; and license management.
Skills in: incident and change management processes; securing connections and transmission protocols; disaster recovery setup; conducting DS drills; collaboration; engaging executives; managing customer relationships; system and technology integration; solution architecture; creative thinking; problem solving; and analytical thinking.
Ability to: present facts clearly and concisely to the highest levels of management, in both oral and written form; manage performance metric contracts that must conform to SLAs; coordinate multiple projects at a time; adapt and manage change; define and execute a strategic vision; influence, motivate, and inspire others; design, customize, and implement VTAM SNA and TCP/IP networks.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree with a major in computer science, information technology, MIS, or a related field and six (6) years of progressive experience in the field of information technology; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Management prefers candidates with ten (10) or more years of experience with mainframe hardware and software. Also ten (10) or more years of direct people management experience is vital for success in this position.
Experience in the following is a plus:
- cloud computing (SaaS / PaaS)
- Telnet, SMTP, FTP, NFS, and communication protocols
- DASD storage management and tools (DFHSM)
Attach cover letter and résumé.
Out of state applicants are encouraged to apply; however, NCAOC does not reimburse travel or relocation expenses.
Supplemental and Contact Information
The Technology Services Division of the NC Administrative Office of the Courts is an award winning team! Check out our recent accolades:
Center for Digital Government – Digital Government Achievement Awards
2012 State Level – Government to Government
2008 State Level – Government to Citizen
2003 State Level – Best of the Web (BOW)
Government Computer News Award
2014 IT Excellence – Public Sector Projects
National Association of State Chief Information Officers
2012 State Level – Government to Business
2007 State Level – Government to Government
Meet the TSD Team of the NC Administrative Office of the Courts.
Our facility is close to I-40 and convenient to all the Research Triangle area has to offer.
17.5 Acre Campus
180,000 SF Building
Ample Free Parking
Full Service Cafeteria
Health & Wellness Benefits
Modern Fitness Center
Yoga & Pilates Classes
Annual Flu Shot Clinic for Employees and Families
Agency Softball Team
Lunch & Learn Programs
Generous Insurance Options
Retirement Package (purchase option for other government plans)
Flexible Benefits Package
Vacation & Sick Leave
Come join a great team! Learn more about the NC Administrative Office of the Courts here: http://www.nccourts.org/Careers
Applicants must complete an on-line application by clicking the above APPLY link. Mailed or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Before applying, please read the Online Employment Application Guide for instructions on creating your profile and applying for specific postings.
It is important your application includes all of your relevant education and work experience and that you answer all questions associated with the application to receive proper credit. Résumés are not accepted in lieu of fully completed applications.
*NOTE* Many job postings require certain documents be attached to an application. Verify your application is complete and uploaded documents are attached to your application before submitting it. Applications may not be altered after they have been submitted.
Carefully review the FAQs if you experience difficulty with the application process or attaching documents. For technical issues with applications or attachments, call the NeoGov Help Line at 877-204-4442.