Responsible for the day-to-day provision of a range of IT services for a department or unit, or responsible for a single function for the university, health system or both. Works with departmental administrative and/or academic leadership or senior IT leadership to develop and implement plans for service delivery in support of organizational operations. Represents departmental leadership in divisional and interdivisional meetings related to IT policies and operations.
Leads projects of varying complexity, which may include those requiring multi-disciplinary coordination and significant vendor collaboration. Has day-to-day responsibility for a variety of technologies and applications with a focused customer base, or a focused set of technologies with a wide and diverse customer base. Manager will supervise frontline IT professionals, will act as a resource for staff including technical guidance, and may have some hands-on responsibilities. Recognized as an expert in group’s supported technologies.Typically has small to moderate size staff comprised of IT professionals as direct reports, which may include LAN and Systems Administrators, Systems Engineers and Programmer Analysts. Develops operating budget and participates in the setting of budget priorities in area of responsibility. Leads projects which vary in complexity and may involve coordination and collaboration with other IT groups at JHU/JHHS as well as outside vendors.
Job Responsibilities:Planning & Controlling
- Provides input and recommendations to and/or formulates plans. Takes direction from leadership to implement those plans for the success of the unit.
- With an awareness of organization’s needs as well as the larger technology landscape of the institution implements technology solutions that meet departmental needs.
- Helps establish budgetary goals, and provides input towards priorities. May develop IT operations budget.
- Participates in the establishment of technology policies and practices and implements them to ensure security and regulatory compliance.
- Represents organizational IT, academic or administrative leadership, in meetings related to IT policies and procedures across the institution.
- Manages the customer relationship and satisfaction as well as adherence to service level agreements.
- Creates and promotes a culture of excellent customer service.
- Maintains relationships with customer base to better understand their needs and address organizational goals.
- Establishes and maintains ties with colleagues throughout the institution to ensure optimal collaboration and coordination of effort.
- Maintains relationships with technology vendors for the department.
- Within functional scope has direct responsibility for the design, development, and application of technical solutions that satisfy customer needs and are essential to the ongoing operations of the department or IT function.
- Is responsible for multiple IT projects that impact the department or IT function, including requirements gathering, planning, delegation of component tasks to team members and monitoring progress toward completion.
- As necessary actively participates in group’s delivery of services.
- Recruits, develops, retains, organizes and manages performance of staff.
- Assigns tasks, monitors progress and provides guidance.
A bachelors degree in a technology field coupled with a minimum of five years of progressively responsible related experience is required. Two years of supervisory experience is preferred. Additional directly related experience may substitute for education.
Applicants must possess proven written, verbal and interpersonal skills and must be able to exercise judgment with minimal supervision. They must have advanced experience with the range of supported technologies. Project management experience is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- High level knowledge of all technologies within area of responsibility
- Track record of collaboration with peers, colleagues and lower level staff
- Proven ability to prioritize work and ensure projects and workloads are completed on time while maintaining high morale
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands
- Politically aware and able to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills
NOTE: The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at 443-997-5100. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Salary: $76,763 – $105,518
Status: Full Time
School: University Administration
Location: Mount Washington Campus
Location City: Baltimore
Location State: MD
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Area of Interest: Technical
Contact: Human Resources 443-997-5100