Choice Check: Career-Based Learning
APS students can jump-start their careers by taking classes at the Career Enrichment Center or their home schools.
Career Enrichment Center
The Career Enrichment Center is an APS magnet school that provides opportunities for advanced, in-depth learning. Students take their core classes at their home high school and unique courses from various career areas at CEC.
CEC and its sister school, the Early College Academy, were named a National Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.
Some of the courses offered at CEC include:
Career and Technical Education
Students should consider a career based on their own interests, abilities, and needs. Everyone has the right to work in a field that provides a sense of personal satisfaction. APS high schools offer Programs of Study that allow students to explore job opportunities and connect secondary and postsecondary education leading to careers.
The components of a Program of Study are:
- A sequence of courses including a clear connection to a post-secondary program
- Association in a career technical education student organization
- Worksite training experience including internships, job shadowing, and pre-apprenticeships while in high school
Programs of Study
Some of the programs offered at APS high schools include:
- Construction Technologies
- Restaurants and Food/Beverages SErvices
- Audio and Video Technology and Film
- Education and Training
- General Business
- Automotive Technologies
- College Field Trips