(844) 627-8267
(844) 627-8267

Mum’s terrifying video shows why you must never give kids marshmallows | #childsafety | #kids | #chldern | #parents | #schoolsafey


  • Nikki Jurcutz has explained how children under four shouldn’t eat marshmallows
  • A shocking video shows how easy it is for the sticky sweets to become lodged 

Parents are being warned not to give young children marshmallows after a shocking video shows how easy it is for them to choke.

Ex-paramedic Nikki Jurcutz has explained how children under the age of four shouldn’t be given the sweet.

Now running the child safety page Tiny Hearts Education, she posted the clip on Instagram to show how the gooey treats can easily become lodged in a youngster’s throat.

The footage shows a plastic tube which is used to demonstrate a windpipe.

The Australian ex-paramedic uses her Instagram account to teach parents about child safety
Marshmallows are round and large enough that they can cover a child’s entire windpipe, the safety guru said
Because they are so ‘sticky’ when eaten, it means marshmallows pose a serious choking hazard if stuck

Ms Jurcutz, from Australia, uses a grape to put down the tube first which is then easily dislodged with a few smacks of her hand – which is to simulate performing the Heimlich Manoeuvre.

But when she uses the marshmallow, it immediately gets stuck and doesn’t move even when she smacks the tube hard several more times than with the grape.

She said: ‘This is why marshmallows are such a high-risk choking food and why I don’t give them to kids under four.

‘Their round shape means they could completely block off the entire airway.

‘When they’re wet, they become sticky and more difficult to swallow, and are more difficult to clear from the airway.’

But there are several modifications people can make to marshmallows to make them safer.

For example, parents can cut them into smaller pieces or use mini marshmallows instead.

People reacted with shock and surprise at the advice with many unaware of just how dangerous the sweet can be.

Abbey.piner said: ‘I have witnessed a child (not mine) choking on a marshmallow and I will never forget the look of fear in his face as he was unable to breathe.

‘Luckily with back blows it cleared but they are a big no no for me!’

A_peachy_life said: ‘I’ve witnessed this first hand as a mum turned her back to her toddler eating one and he went down hill very fast.

‘Had to act fast. He was ok.’

Katerous said: ‘This I didn’t know. Austin wasn’t allowed sugar til he was 2.5y anyways lol (doubt addy will make it that far haha).

‘But bonus, he hated marshmallows. No popcorn or marshmallows for little Addy any time soon.’

But aussie_mamma_bear said: ‘It’s funny how times have changed. I’ve had 6 children with the youngest being now 12.

‘We never had to cut fruit like grapes or not give marshmallows.’

Nikki Jurcutz has previously warned that most prents are too gentle when they are trying to save their kids lives from choking.

A lot of people responded to the video to say how shocked and surprised they were at how hazardous the sweets are
Nikki Jurcutz has previously warned that most prents are too gentle when they are trying to save their kids

Parents often ask her about choking first aid and confess they are scared of hurting or bruising their babies when slapping them on the back.

But the healthcare professional says you cannot reasonably smack them ‘too hard’ on their back and that using force will actually save their life.

‘If you are at the point of needing to use back blows, it means your child is not getting any oxygen into their lungs,’ she said.

The nurse also urged parents to familiarise themselves with choking first aid and the proper way to give back blows.

When a child is choking, some people mistakenly use three fingers instead of the heel of their hand in an upwards direction.

Every second the object is left inside is another second without oxygen for your child.

Tiny Hearts also introduced the principle of ‘life over limb’ that stated saving your child’s life is the priority over a bruised back.

‘Bruises can heal, a baby with no oxygen for four minutes cannot,’ the nurse said.

————————————————


Source link

National Cyber Security

FREE
VIEW