EarthLink, an original Internet pioneer, has evolved into one of the world’s top managed network, security and cloud solution providers. Our people keep us competitive and focused, and we’re looking for talented professionals to join our team! Are you passionate about driving transformation? Are you ready to impact how people experience technology in business and as consumers? By joining EarthLink, you will feel energized by working in a fast-paced, ever-changing technology environment, and will gain experience to help you grow personally and professionally.
In this role, the Network Security Engineer is responsible for support of a next generation IP network. You will collaborate with other team members to define, document and enforce network standards along with day-to-day management. A well-qualified candidate will portray professional qualities and occasionally interact with several levels of audiences.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide network security customer support supporting multiple customers
- Responsible for packet capture analysis, syslog, and firewall log analysis
- Advanced OSI Model knowledge; Advanced layer 3 and layer 4 packet analysis; In depth, end to end, network troubleshooting and analysis
- Support occasional non-routine incident support after hours in emergency situations, as applicable
- Identify security incidents, provide supporting information to clients, and support the client through containment and remediation
- Troubleshoot end to end network connectivity using command line tools
- Evaluate and implement customer’s move, add, change, delete (MACD) requests
- Conduct risk assessments on all work performed
- Identifying suspicious and malicious activities, documenting events and incidents as prescribed by policy; leads and manages maintenance of the SIM
- During an event, responds to security incident responses for network and other IT security related events
- Monitor security events and conduct regular reviews of log files, platforms, products and services
- Create clear/concise documentation for continued follow-up and understanding by teammates and leadership
- Monitor industry information for threats and providing information to appropriate personnel for implementation or remediation efforts such as patching or other required mitigation efforts
- Assess the impact of current network security advisories and publications.
- Participate in a periodic on-call rotation to support a 24-hour, seven-day operation
- Define and implement network access control policy across routers, switches, and firewalls.
- Act as an externally facing point of contact to coordinate security response from networking vendors.
- Review new platforms, designs, and services to ensure sound network security practices are considered.
- Approval of firewall and other network device configuration, and/or liaison with network infrastructure teams to review and implement firewall changes and required security updates. This includes configuring security controls and protocols on various network equipment including Network IDS/IPS and firewalls
- Respond to information security issues during each stage of a project’s lifecycle
- Participation in Change Control Meetings and have the ability to review related changes and sign-off regarding required security reviews
- Collaborate with colleagues on authentication, authorization and encryption solutions
- Engage with other EarthLink teams to ensure systems and technologies are mitigated from threat by means of patching, updates, or other required hardening standards or mechanisms
- Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 – 5 years’ security engineering experience or comparable in education or similar job responsibilities (i.e. network engineer/senior security analyst)
- Network certifications (e.g. JNCIS, CCNA, etc.)
- Security certifications (e.g. CISSP, CEH, Security+, etc.)
- Experience working in an ISP, MSO, or carrier environment.
- Understanding of Internet backbone routing.
- Familiarity with common network security industry practices, forums, and institutions.
- Familiarity with Cisco, FortiGate and Juniper firewalls
- Familiarity with Juniper Pulse Secure SSL VPN
Knowledge of network-based and system-level attacks and mitigation methods