San Luis Obispo County has had more than 1,500 coronavirus cases since mid-March as of Friday.
As of Friday, there were a total of 462 local active COVID-19 cases. One additional coronavirus-related death was reported over the weekend.
And in Santa Barbara County, officials are now requiring face coverings to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Here are your local Monday updates:
A ninth person dies from COVID-19 in SLO County
A ninth San Luis Obispo County resident died due to COVID-19, county health officials announced late Sunday.
Breaking news & more
Sign up for one of our many newsletters to be the first to know when big news breaks
The person was in their 70s with underlying health conditions and had been hospitalized for more than two weeks beginning about a week after taking a trip out of state, the county Public Health Department said in a news release Sunday.
The county did not say where the person had traveled.
The most recent death followed an eighth death on Thursday of a person who was in their 80s and had underlying health conditions. That person had been living in a care facility, the San Luis Obispo County Public Health Department said in a news release Thursday.
Coronavirus scammers are calling SLO County residents
A new coronavirus-related phone scam popped on the San Luis Obispo County Public Health Department’s radar last week.
Residents who haven’t taken COVID-19 tests called the county and said someone claiming to be with the health department called and told them they tested positive for the virus, county Public Health Officer Dr. Penny Borenstein said at a Wednesday news briefing.
Borenstein said the county believes the scammers hope to gather personal information and cause public distrust of the health department by wrongfully implying that it is miscounting cases.
If a person tests positive for coronavirus, they will be contacted by the San Luis Obispo County Public Health Department with an 805-781 or 805-788 number, Borenstein said, and it is important for people to answer that call for contact tracing.
Santa Barbara County Public Health officer issues face covering mandate
Santa Barbara County Public Health Officer Dr. Henning Ansorg on Thursday ordered people in Santa Barbara County to wear face coverings when in high-risk situations that may contribute to the spread of COVID-19.
Ansorg issued a new health officer order that took effect at 5 p.m. Thursday and will continue until 5 p.m. Aug. 20, or until it is extended, rescinded, superseded or amended. The order was issued to align with the state’s mandate that face coverings be worn.
In June, California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a statewide order requiring people to wear a face covering in many settings.
The county’s order intends “to provide clarity on when face coverings should be worn and to be aligned with the California Department of Public Health’s mandated guidelines,” Santa Barbara County Public Health said in a statement.
As of Friday, the county has had 5,579 COVIID-19 cases, 369 of which are active, according to the Public Health Department.
©2020 The Tribune (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
Visit The Tribune (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) at www.sanluisobispo.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Get your CompTIA A+, Network+ White Hat-Hacker, Certified Web Intelligence Analyst and more starting at $35 a month. Click here for more details.