(844) 627-8267
(844) 627-8267

Prince Harry asks for more than £440,000 compensation in phone hacking case | #hacking | #cybersecurity | #infosec | #comptia | #pentest | #hacker


The Duke of Sussex has asked for more than £440,000 in compensation in his phone hacking case against Mirror Group, his lawyers have told the High Court.

Prince Harry is suing Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) for damages over unlawful information gathering, including phone hacking, citing 148 articles he alleged had been obtained illegally, such as by intercepting his voicemails. Of those, 33 articles have been selected as a sample on which to base his case.

In a court document released on the final day of the trial, the Duke’s legal team set out a total of £320,000 as the amount of money he could receive for the articles if the judge rules in his favour.

In another document released last night (FRI), his lawyers said the Duke should be awarded over £120,000 for “being the target of a vast amount of unlawful information gathering by Private Investigators.” They separated each damages claim by all the invoices that make up their case, which allegedly show PI use to obtain information about the young prince, ranging from £25 to £2,500 per invoice.

The chosen articles – published by MGN titles from 1996 to 2010 – cover the Duke’s relationship with his brother, the breakdown of his relationship with ex-girlfriend Chelsy Davy, a few injuries and illnesses, allegations of drug use and his military service.

The highest amount sought for one of the 33 articles is £25,000 in relation to a December 2003 double-page story in the People.

It centred on a reported dispute between Prince Harry and his brother over whether to meet former royal butler Paul Burrell, who they had publicly accused of betraying their mother.

‘MGN suggested compensation figure of £37,000’

The Duke’s barrister, David Sherborne, earlier suggested to the court that the brothers’ relationship started to “erode” because of this article as “mistrust” between them was sowed. MGN has told the trial that it denies that 28 out of the 33 articles involved unlawful information gathering and that it was not admitted for the remaining five articles.

According to the Duke’s lawyers, MGN had suggested a potential total compensation figure of £37,000.

The publisher claims the stories came from a range of sources, including information disclosed by royal households or other members of the Royal family, freelance journalists and news agencies as well as confidential sources with “extensive” royal contacts.

The Duke may be awarded more if Mr Justice Fancourt, the judge presiding over the case, concludes that he is also entitled to “aggravated damages” for additional distress or injury to feelings arising from the nature of MGN’s alleged wrongdoing.

It comes after Andrew Green KC, representing the publisher, told the court on Friday that former Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan “has been in firing line” of the Duke for a long time.

Mr Green told the High Court that the Duke and the other three high profile claimants had the former editor “in their gun sight”.

Mr Morgan was editor of the Daily Mirror between 1995 and 2004 and has previously denied involvement in phone hacking.

In the claimants’ written arguments, Mr Sherborne said it was “inconceivable” that Mr Morgan and other editors did not know about MGN journalists instructing private investigators to obtain information.

——————————————————–


Click Here For The Original Story From This Source.

National Cyber Security

FREE
VIEW