Info@NationalCyberSecurity
Info@NationalCyberSecurity

Prince Harry calls Piers Morgan out as he wins phone hacking scandal case | #hacking | #cybersecurity | #infosec | #comptia | #pentest | #hacker


Harry says Piers Morgan knew about phone hackingMax Mumby/Indigo – Getty Images

After a lengthy legal battle, Prince Harry has been awarded substantial damages in his phone hacking case against the Daily Mirror’s publisher, Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) – and has fired shots directly at Piers Morgan. MGN also publishes the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People.

Back in December, the same court ruled that Morgan “knew perfectly well what was going on” and awarded the royal £140,600. Today (9 February 2024) a judge ruled that the Duke of Sussex is also entitled to an interim payment towards the costs of £400,000). Harry’s various claims against the publisher have now all been settled.

Speaking after the verdict, the Duke of Sussex’s lawyer, David Sherborne, said Morgan (editor of the Daily Mirror during the time of the alleged phone hackings against the royal) knew “perfectly well” what methods were used to obtain stories about Harry’s personal life.

Morgan has always denied any wrongdoing, saying he was unaware that celebrities and public figures, like Prince Harry, were having their privacy massively compromised through phone hacking.

“MGN will pay the Duke of Sussex a substantial additional sum by way of damages and all the costs of his claim,” said Sherborne. “In light of this, we call again for the authorities to uphold the rule of law and to prove that no one is above it. That includes Mr Morgan, who as editor knew perfectly well what was going on, as the judge held.”

prince harry and his lawyer, david sherborne, leaving the rolls building at high court on 7 june 2023prince harry and his lawyer, david sherborne, leaving the rolls building at high court on 7 june 2023

Prince Harry and his lawyer, David Sherborne, leaving the Rolls Building at High Court on 7 June 2023Leon Neal

He added, “His contempt for the court’s ruling and his continued attacks ever since demonstrate why it was so important to obtain a clear and detailed judgment.”

In response, Morgan told reporters gathered outside of his home, “I want to reiterate, as I’ve consistently said for many years now – I’ve never hacked a phone or told anybody else to hack a phone. And nobody has produced any actual evidence to prove that I did.”

He also labelled the prince “ruthless, greedy and hypocritical”.

Morgan also later tweeted, “STATEMENT: I totally agree with Prince Harry that ruthless intrusion into the private lives of the Royal Family for financial gain is utterly reprehensible… and I hope he stops doing it.”

Earlier in the trial, which has lasted more than a year, a judge found 15 out of 33 articles about Prince Harry, published by MGN, were a result of unlawful information gathering. The stories ranged from tidbits about Harry’s then-girlfriend, Chelsy Davy, to allegations about the royal smoking cannabis.

An MGN spokesperson said the ruling highlighted “where historical wrongdoing took place, we apologise unreservedly, have taken full responsibility and paid compensation”.

Prince Harry recently visited the UK for a brief stint following his father’s cancer diagnosis. King Charles III is currently undergoing treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer which is said to have been “caught early”. Reports from the Palace say the King is in good spirits.

It’s believed that during his short time in the UK, Harry did not meet with his brother Prince William.

You Might Also Like

——————————————————–


Click Here For The Original Story From This Source.

.........................

National Cyber Security

FREE
VIEW