Prince Harry was “prime target” for the tabloid press and is a victim of phone-hacking, his lawyer told London’s High Court as the trial in the lawsuit against a newspaper publisher neared its end. The Duke of Sussex and around 100 others are suing Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), publisher of Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and Sunday People, over allegations of phone-hacking and unlawful information gathering between 1991 and 2011.
Prince Harry’s lawyer told the court that the case against MGN was “inferential”, stressing that “the newspapers regarded him as a prime target, perhaps one of the most prime targets, in the sense of royal stories drive newspaper sales.”
MGN previously admitted its titles were involved in unlawful information gathering and settled more than 600 claims. The publisher, however said, that there is no evidence that Prince Harry’s phone was hacked. Some of the personal information about Prince Harry in stories cited during the case had come from, or with the consent of, senior Buckingham Palace aides, the publisher said.
It was “highly unlikely” MGN would have targeted Prince Harry, particularly after the 2006 arrest of the then-royal editor of Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World tabloid, it added.
Prince Harry- fifth-in-line to the throne- became the first senior royal to give evidence in court in 130 years when he appeared this month in the witness box.
Prince Harry’s “undoubtedly fair resentment about his treatment by British and international media for many years” had been channelled into his legal action, which he said was not for compensation, his lawyer said.