CompTIA PenTest+ is a certification for intermediate level cybersecurity professionals who are tasked with penetration testing to identify, exploit, report, and manage vulnerabilities on a network.
CompTIA PenTest+ joins CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst (CySA+) at the intermediate-skills level of the cybersecurity career pathway. Depending on your course of study, PenTest+ and CySA+ can be taken in any order but typically follows the skills learned in Security+. While CySA+ focuses on defense through incident detection and response, PenTest+ focuses on offense through penetration testing and vulnerability assessment.
Although the two exams teach opposing skills, they are dependent on one another. The most qualified cybersecurity professionals have both offensive and defensive skills. Earn the PenTest+ certification to grow your career within the CompTIA recommended cybersecurity career pathway.
CompTIA PenTest+ is the only penetration testing exam taken at a Pearson VUE testing center with both hands-on, performance-based questions and multiple-choice, to ensure each candidate possesses the skills, knowledge, and ability to perform tasks on systems. PenTest+ exam also includes management skills used to plan, scope, and manage weaknesses, not just exploit them.
PenTest+ is unique because our certification requires a candidate to demonstrate the hands-on ability and knowledge to test devices in new environments such as the cloud and mobile, in addition to traditional desktops and servers.
- CompTIA PenTest+ assesses the most up-to-date penetration testing, and vulnerability assessment and management skills necessary to determine the resiliency of the network against attacks.
- Successful candidates will have the intermediate skills required to customize assessment frameworks to effectively collaborate on and report findings.
- Candidates will also have the best practices to communicate recommended strategies to improve the overall state of IT security.
CompTIA PenTest+ meets the ISO 17024 standard. Regulators and government rely on ANSI accreditation because it provides confidence and trust in the outputs of an accredited program. Over 1.3 million CompTIA ISO/ANSI-accredited exams have been delivered since January 1, 2011.
It’s recommended to be familiar with the information in the CompTIA Network+ and Security+ exams
There are no requirements to take this course, nor are there any requirements to sit for the CompTIA PenTest+ exam, however, basic familiarity with networks and network security is suggested
Minimum of 3-4 years of hands-on information security or related experience.
What will you learn
PLANNING & SCOPING
Explain the importance of planning and key aspects of compliance-based assessments
INFORMATION GATHERING & VULNERABILITY IDENTIFICATION
Gather information to prepare for exploitation then perform a vulnerability scan and analyze results
ATTACKS & EXPLOITS
Exploit network, wireless, application, and RF-based vulnerabilities, summarize physical security attacks, and perform post-exploitation techniques
PENETRATION TESTING TOOLS
Conduct information gathering exercises with various tools and analyze output and basic scripts (limited to: Bash, Python, Ruby, PowerShell)
REPORTING & COMMUNICATION
Utilize report writing and handling best practices explaining recommended mitigation strategies for discovered vulnerabilities
Organizations that have contributed to the development of PenTest+
Jobs That Use CompTIA PenTest+
Security Analyst (II)
Vulnerability Assessment Analyst
Network Security Operations
Application Security Vulnerability
- Each course has a discussion Forum where you can chat with fellow students as well as the instructor.
- Have a question about this course? Call and speak to your instructor directly 5 days a week.
- Email your instructor 24/7.
- Every week all student taking this course can participate in a live video group chat with your instructor.
All students will receive a certificate of completion in CompTIA PenTest+