I hope this finds you well amid the smoky skies. It’s clearing up and I’m hopeful for a weekend of outdoor activities to celebrate Father’s Day.
It’s been a busy spring! After we wrapped up the legislative session on May 22, legislators packed up and returned to their districts, and I’m grateful to be back full-time in our Chanhassen community.
We had so much fun at The Prom! Great to be there and experience so much talent at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre!
On Tuesday, I had an opportunity to give a legislative update from the Capitol to the Carver County Board of Commissioners.
Here’s a look at my notes from the meeting recapping our work:
Local Infrastructure Investments
Working together with our neighbors, I was happy to secure investments in the following infrastructure improvements:
- $20 million for Highway 5 improvements
- $10 million for CSAH-18 improvements
- $5.425 for Chaska City Square West
- The creation of a statewide Traffic Safety Council to reduce traffic fatalities
- A refundable sales tax exemption on materials used in the construction of a new city hall and senior center, city council chambers, and park amenities in Chanhassen
- Renamed a 7-mile stretch of Highway 5 to the Prince Rogers Nelson Memorial Highway and got approval from MNDot for 4 purple signs
Photo credit: MN Department of Transportation. Signs are expected to be installed this summer!
I was glad we prioritized our students and their education this session. For our school districts, Eastern Carver County will see a $17 million increase over the next four years, and Minnetonka will receive more than a $15 million boost. Using our budget to invest in our kids sets our district and state up for more success in the future!
- Stabilizing future funding by indexing to inflation
- Investments in special education, mental health services, and literacy programs
- Universal meals for students
- My bill to include a $4 million investment per year for Minnesota’s Regional Public Library system
- 5,200 new voluntary Pre-Kindergarten seats statewide
- My provision to include $15 million for the popular Solar for Schools Program
- $28,605 grant for Chaska through the Safe Routes to School program
Minnesota Safe Routes to School Network Meetup
Our budget focused on our shared values as Minnesotans, helping those who are struggling the most and providing relief for seniors and families. These investments reflect our commitment to helping those in need so our whole state can better succeed. We delivered:
- Child tax credits to reduce childhood poverty by 1/3
- No taxes on Social Security for 75% of seniors
- Property tax reductions and deferrals for seniors
- Tax rebate checks of $260 per family member
All Minnesotans deserve to be healthy and safe in our communities; that’s why our budget included:
- Mental health funding and a new 988 suicide and crisis line
- 100% clean energy standards by 2040
- Capped co-pays of $25 on medication treating chronic conditions such as diabetes and asthma
- My bill to create an E-bike tax credit to promote healthy living, increase mobility for those with disabilities, provide more transportation options for non-drivers, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Criminal background checks on all gun purchases & Red Flag laws
- My provision to increase investments in the Good Food Access Program to expand affordable, nutritious food access in food deserts across the state
- Eliminating the threat posed by PFAS by banning household products containing intentionally added PFAS and funding for municipal water systems to root out PFAS in drinking water
What an honor it was to meet and speak with Gabby Giffords this session. I’m grateful for her advocacy on gun violence prevention.
Researching e-bikes at Freewheel Bikes in Eden Prairie.
After years of gridlock, it is refreshing to be a part of this historic session, working diligently to deliver solutions to help everyone in our state thrive.
Your comments, questions, and stories are making a difference. Please keep in touch about the issues that matter to you most.
Have a great Father’s Day Weekend!
One of my favorite photos of my crew (a short ten years ago!) at the Arborteum. Happy Father’s Day, to my husband Phil!