A serial sex offender who tried to rape a girl died from heart disease after a cardiac appointment was cancelled and never re-booked.
Mel Orme already had a string of sex offences on his record when he was transferred to HMP Wymott near Leyland last November. He underwent an initial health screening he informed prison staff he had been experiencing dizzy spells and a hospital appointment was made for him after an ECG indicated some abnormalities in his heart function.
However, the appointment was then cancelled by the hospital, and there was nothing in Orme’s records to suggest it was ever re-booked. On the morning of December 12 last year the 57-year-old was found dead in his cell when prison officers conducted their morning rounds.
READ MORE: Violent criminal admitted trying to deceive parole board in bid to move to open prison
An inquest held today (Monday June 16) at Preston Coroner’s Court heard that Orme, who was born in Manchester, had a history of diabetes and hypertension. A post mortem CT scan concluded the cause of his death was coronary artery disease with aortic valve disease and left ventricular hypertrophy listed as contributory factors.
Following Orme’s death a series of recommendations were made to Wymott Prison. These are in the process of being implemented with the prison’s head of healthcare revealing new systems had been put in place to ensure the kitchen staff are aware of diabetic prisoners and others on specific diets.
Returning a conclusion of natural causes, Assistant Coroner Nicholas Rheinberg said: “Mel Orme had a known heart condition and suffered from diabetes. He was found dead in his cell at HMP Wymott at around 8am on December 12, 2022. He died as a result of naturally-occurring heart disease.”
In 2020 the MEN reported how Orme, then aged 55, was jailed for 32 months at Minshull Street Crown Court after pleading guilty to sexual assault Orme, from Eccles, near Salford, who has a string of convictions for sexual offences, had just five months earlier been released from jail despite being locked up for life for the attempted rape of a girl of 16 in 1998.
The court heard how, in October 2019, Orme prowled the Trafford Centre shopping centre looking for new victims just five months after parole officers deemed him fit to be released. He followed one woman to the car park where he groped her bottom before grinning at her and walking away.
Hours later he followed another woman around the complex and attempted to grab her. A third woman out enjoying the afternoon with her daughter and friends had sat down on a bench when she spotted Orme watching her from behind a plant pot.
As she walked away he grabbed her by the arm and bottom, before pushing himself against her. She quickly moved away but has said the incident has caused her to have heart palpitations and she has not returned to the Trafford Centre since.
Orme, who remained emotionless during the sentencing hearing in 2020, was unrepresented at the hearing. He declined to give an explanation to the court when asked by the sentencing Judge. He had 30 convictions dating back to 1979 when he was convicted of indecent assault on a female under 16.
He also had convictions for attempted rape, rape and indecent assault and his last conviction was in 1998 for two offences of attempted rape, to which he was handed life imprisonment. He was described by the judge as a “prolific sex offender”.