Site Reliability Engineer II
Texas A&M University
Division of Information Technology
Proposed Minimum Salary
College Station, Texas
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values.
Who we are
The Division of Information Technology provides reliable and accessible IT services to elevate and enhance Texas A&M University. We provide IT leadership to the campus community while enabling the research, education and service mission of Texas A&M. With trusted services and innovative solutions, we are changing the technology landscape on campus. To learn more about IT at Texas A&M University visit us at: https://it.tamu.edu/
What we want
The Senior IT Professional II (Site Reliability Engineer II), under general direction, provides technical leadership for multiple complex unit-level projects or operations utilizing multiple technical fields. Develops technical standards for implementing unit projects or operations. Serves as a chair or senior member of an information resource team responsible for setting technical standards and direction.The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors and updates our recruiting, hiring and onboarding processes to align with local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. Each department has established guidelines for recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes remotely and in-person, which include sanitizing common spaces, mask policy, and maintaining safe physical distancing. Each department will provide the processes and procedures to be followed at each step of the recruitment, hire and onboarding process.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Eight years of experience in multiple technology areas such as system administration, DevOps, collaborative software development, customer support, application support, project management, database administration, system reporting, access management, system security, and/or disaster recovery
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
- Must have strong interpersonal skills
Other Requirements or Other Factors:
- Hiring restrictions in compliance with System Policy 15.02 Export Controls: Must be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or a person granted asylum or refugee status in accordance with 15 CFR, Part 762; 22 CFR §§122.5, 123.22 and 123.26; and 31 CFR § 501.601.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree
- Knowledge of and experience with operating Docker, containers, and related technologies.
- Knowledge of and experience with deploying Kubernetes on-premise. Knowledge of and experience with deploying Kubernetes in one or more public clouds (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Experience with VMware vSphere virtualization (vCenter, ESXi, Converter, etc.).
- Experience with at least two of the following on-premise cloud-technologies: Minio, Ceph, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, and/or Grafana.
- Experience with at least one of the following automation technologies: Chef, Ansible, and/or Puppet.
- Programming experience with at least two of the following languages: Node.js, Python, Ruby, Go, or Bash.
- Experience, including actual pull requests, with Github or Gitlab.
- Knowledge of and experience with CI/CD methodologies.
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft, Linux, and Mac operating systems (Windows Server 2012 & 2016, Windows 10, CentOS, Mac OS X).
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Active Directory and LDAP, File and Print services.
- Experience with network protocols and theory (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing, etc.).
- Awareness of Symantec Endpoint Protection, Tenable Nessus.
- General familiarity with principles of project management and service management framework (e.g., ITIL/ITSM). Knowledge of and experience with DevOps methodologies.
Preferred Licenses and Certifications: Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced cross-disciplined IT skills, advanced analysis and troubleshooting/problem-solving, client relations skills, requirement assessment and analysis, project management methodology, understands context/interrelationships, and proficiency of ITIL
- Experience with Objectives and Key Results methodologies is highly desirable
- Server Administration – Administer large and/or multiple client servers, to include virtual servers. Design and implement servers. Install and configure network file servers and hardware. Provide technical oversight of server testing and application. Conduct server performance analyses and tuning. Assist with routine audits of systems and software.
- Problem Management – Analyze system logs and identifying potential issues with computer systems. Troubleshoot and repair complex hardware and software for servers; troubleshoot and repair configuration problems; troubleshoot routine network problems. Provide Tier II and assist with Tier III support. Evaluates and follows through on issues and problems until resolved or escalated.
- Documentation – Review the accuracy of documentation of server support methods, procedures, and configuration. Establish the standards and processes used to document infrastructure support methods, procedures, and configuration.
- Client and Technical Consultation – Research, recommend, specify, and plan for large server hardware and software purchases in support of the clients’ overall goals. Establish standards for the development infrastructure hardware and software purchases. Approve specifications and plans for large and complex purchases of infrastructure systems.
- New Technology Deployment and System Integration Testing – Implement new technology deployments and system integration testing.
- Data Security – Perform annual security assessments. Design system security measures and data backup and protection methods. Develop disaster recovery plans for servers.
- Technology Planning and Evaluation – Implement the evaluation of new technologies to determine their applicability to the client’s needs.
- Project Planning Support – Assist project leader with developing work plan and time schedules for projects including outlining phases and identifying personnel and computing equipment requirements.
- Common Duties – May coordinate the technical activities of a small project team; assist and mentor other employees in resolving various issues; participate with management personnel in planning, direction, and coordinating operational and/or procedural matters to meet goals and objectives; may produce reports and summaries for management and/or users including status reports, problem reports, progress summaries, and system utilization reports; participate in change management and problem tracking.
- Professional Development – Participate in training and professional development sessions. Perform other duties as assigned.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.