Job ID: 38871
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Department: IT Cyber Proc & Info Platform
Completes efforts and projects related to the design, installation, operation, support, upgrades and maintenance of infrastructure, including software, servers, networking and storage. Administers, maintains and supports complex and critical infrastructure. Provides user support for server hosting requests, problem resolution, system changes and upgrades. Analyzes infrastructure performance and resolves problems or makes appropriate recommendations. Ensures that all aspects of operability are delivered as part of the implementation process while also ensuring that existing service level is maintained or improved. Contributes to and ensures full compliance to operational standards, procedures and best practices.
- Leads planning, development, and coordination of operations and projects for current and future infrastructures.
- Anticipates impact of growth and changes in operations, and recommends design and/or process changes.
- Participates in disaster recovery/business continuity planning including backup and recovery procedures and higher availability configurations.
- Ensures data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
- Serves as project liaison – implementations or upgrades, acts as the focal point for communications between CyberInfrastructure and the Project Leader.
- Facilitates coordination and a thorough understanding of requirements, attends project meetings, creates written meeting notes, creates appropriate ticketing, etc.
- Maintains policies and standard procedures to increase system uptime.
- Identifies training needs and keeps current on application technologies.
- Monitors security alerts and ensures that appropriate patches are applied in an automated and timely fashion; works with developers to patch or upgrade custom code for security compliance.
- Documents and maintains system standards; researches and recommends innovative approaches for system administration tasks.
- Creates and maintains standard OS installation images for virtualization templates.
- Monitors application performance on servers.
- Evaluates and manages appropriate software and hardware allocations to achieve an optimum performance level.
- Performs capacity planning for projecting future growth.
- In collaboration with development project teams, builds, rebuilds, and/or updates servers and configures hardware and virtual machines (VM), applications, peripherals, services, networking, storage.
- Leads troubleshooting of application, operating system(s) server hardware, network communications and storage problems within infrastructure.
- Provides a second level of support; leads service incident and problem resolution efforts to support entrusted applications/products.
- Provides user support on deployed servers.
- Consults on best practices to users.
- Provides data and metrics to support sizing requirements and performance tuning decisions. Participate in related decision processes with managers and leads.
- Provides work direction and/or supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Recommends staff hires/terminations.
- Coaches and mentors staff.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or 2 years equivalent experience.
- 4 years system administration or equivalent experience required.
- Infrastructure: Linux Operating System; Windows Operating System.
- Programming Languages and Frameworks: Microsoft PowerShell; Python; Shell Scripting.
- Analytical: Critical thinking; Decision making; troubleshooting.
- Project: Collaboration and teamwork l Organizational skills; Planning; Write proposals and project charters.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Proficient installing, configuring, supporting complex Linux infrastructure environments.
- Skilled installing, configuring, supporting three tier environments (web-app-DB)MS SQL Server.
- Customer focus and ability to understand customer needs.
- Experienced effectively communicating with a variety of people in different roles, e.g., clients, Management and technical staff.
- Strong oral and written and communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate the activities of a diverse set of IT resources in a matrix environment, while performing multiple roles of server and application support, providing technical consultation and project coordination.
- Proficient scripting and troubleshooting scripts.
- Proven ability to prioritize, organize, and multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Proven collaboration & team work abilities; proven initiative, established professionalism and proficiency, basic project management experience, technical documentation skills.
- Experience installing, configuring, supporting complex Windows server based infrastructure environments
- Proficient with MS Excel, Word and Visio.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- 2 – 6 years’ experience working with large scale 3 tier environments (servers; web server, app server, database).
- Advanced technical training with Linux and Windows.
- 4 years system administration or equivalent experience.
- 4-6 years administration experience with primarily Linux server O/S.
- Strong trouble shooting skills with the ability to understand an environment and how to troubleshoot at the environment level (network, hardware, application, database, etc.)
- Proven experience to quickly troubleshoot and fix difficult technical problems.
- 4 years of progressively responsible experience installing, supporting and managing application software and related hardware and software infrastructure.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Experience with large scale three tier applications.
- Knowledge of industry-standard best practices for IT support (e.g., ITIL) change control, project. management, and software development.
- Advanced planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced experience with MS Excel, Word, and Visio.
- Experience with an organized, well documented approach to project managing large projects.
- Negotiation and conflict management abilities, advanced communication and organizational skills.
- Some business analysis experience.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.