While much of the West Australian community showed their generosity, helping raise more than $25 million as part of Telethon, a hacker targeted the event on social media.
Now in its 47thÂ year, the two-day event raises funds children’s charities including major benificiaries the Telethon Kids Institute and Princess Margaret Hospital.
However, sometime after the event wrapped on Sunday evening, Telethon’s official Instagram account was compromised and a hacker demanded money for the account to be reinstated.
The hack was confirmed on the account which now says “our account has been hacked- but we are back up & running”, but hundreds of previously posted pictures and video during the event were missing.
At the time of publishing, the account had just 15 posts, all of which were uploaded over the past two days.
Telethon general manager Steve Mummery said “it was such a downer” watching as people started unfollowing the account as the hacker started to delete posts and keep changing the name of the account.
Telethon marketing and communications manager Lauren Castledine said the account had more than 10,000 followers after this year’s event finished on Sunday night but on Monday morning when she realised she no