Clips unearthed by MailOnline have revealed the awkward on air interactions between Katherine Ryan and Russell Brand – as it emerged she repeatedly accused him of being a ‘sexual predator’ before he was axed from the programme.
Clips show the looks, and conversations, between the two comedians as they judged Comedy Central’s Roast Battle in 2018, with Ryan at times seeming to avoid Brand’s glare or appear unwilling to applaud him.
Brand, 48, is currently facing allegations of rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse, after a bombshell four-year investigation saw four women come forward, claiming they were harmed during the peak of his fame between 2006 and 2013.
The Metropolitan Police has since announced it is investigating a further alleged assault that took place in Soho in 2003. Brand has vehemently denied all allegations, adding that any relationship he had in his ‘time of promiscuity’ were ‘consensual’.
In the wake of the scandal, it has now emerged that Ryan, 40, would fire shots at Brand, 48, about his alleged sexual misconduct while recording but these jabs were cut out of the final production, sources working on the production have said.
Roast Battle was the last major television show Brand appeared on in the UK.
Ryan and Brand starred alongside Jimmy Carr judging Roast Battle where well-known comics come forward making jokes at the other’s expense.
READ HERE: Is Russell Brand’s £16m fortune now at risk? Star could still earn up to £80,000 a post on Rumble, make sponsored videos or sell exclusive content on his OWN website – despite YouTube cutting off £1m a year he earned from adverts
Throughout the first season of Roast Battle a number of frosty exchanges take place between the Canadian comic and her counterpart, appearing awkward in each other’s company from the first episode.
As they are introduced by Carr, who hosts the show, Ryan appears cheerful before turning stony face when looking directly at Brand who appears sheepish.
Carr goes onto introduce British comedian, joking with the audience to ‘lock up your daughters, your mothers and your pets’ because Brand was in the building.
Brand later goes on to joke about keeping ‘harmony behind this panel’ and wanting a ‘simple life’ while judging the programme.
During the second episode, the pair seem to come across another awkward exchange. When Carr introduces them both, Brand applauds Ryan while she looks away and waves at the audience.
Brand rushed to publish a video on Friday before the accusations of sexual violence were made public on Saturday afternoon.
Amidst his denials Brand blamed the accusations as being part of a ‘coordinated media attack’ that was trying to ‘control’ his voice.
Making similar remarks in episode three of Roast Battle, Brand, who used to work for both the BBC and Channel 4, claimed he ‘enjoyed enormously’ a joke about a ‘Radio 4 show being a hostage situation’.
He said he enjoyed it because ‘it was an attack on conventional media’.
READ ALSO: Russell Brand QUITS two of his lucrative businesses in the wake of growing rape and sex assault allegations
In light of the harrowing allegations made by four women, sources close to Fulwell 73 production – the company behind Roast Battle – claimed Ryan’s allegations about Brand’s ‘predatory’ behaviour did not make the final edit.
One source told Deadline that Brand had become ‘absolutely furious’ about being made a target by Ryan, while two others told the paper that he demanded the producers protect him from being roasted about the serious allegations.
Industry insiders have said that when the six-episode series came to an end Brand felt he should step down from the programme.
‘In the end, it came down to the fact it seemed like Russell didn’t have a good sense of humour,’ one explained.
Ryan had previously said she told a comedian ‘to his face’ that he was a sexual predator and that accusations made against this person were ‘an open secret’.
The comedian added in an interview with Louis Theroux that she had confronted the man when they worked together on television ‘again and again’.
Latest Russell Brand News
Multiple sources told Deadline that she had been referring to Brand and Roast Battle.
By the second season, which coincided with the time that Brand started to step back from the public limelight, Jonathan Ross replaced him.
On Saturday the shocking allegations first came to light following a four year investigation conducted by the Channel 4 Dispatches team and The Sunday Times, which documented the alleged harming of four women between 2006 and 2013.
One woman claimed she had been raped by the star at his home in Los Angeles in 2013.
Another said that while she was just 16-years-old Brand began a relationship with her, ferrying her from school to his house. On once occasion, she claimed he sexually assaulted her.
Throughout the investigation including allegations that the BBC and Channel 4 knew of his ‘sinister’ behaviour towards women.
It has prompted the two channels to launch internal investigations following the accusations that he was predatory towards staff and audience members when he was employed by the channels.
Today the BBC also removed all shows featuring Brand from iPlayer, following YouTube who suspended his advertising revenue.
Following the fallout from the allegations, Brand’s PR firm MBC PR and talent agent Tavistock Wood removed him as a client from their website.
On Saturday night Brand continued as usual with his new live show, the Bipolarisation tour, where his fans greeted him with cheers.
But yesterday, promoters for the tour confirmed that the remaining dates in Windsor, Plymouth and Wolverhampton had been postponed.
They said in a statement: ‘We are postponing these few remaining addiction charity fundraiser shows, we don’t like doing it – but we know you’ll understand.’
MailOnline has contacted both Ryan and Brand’s representatives.
Russell Brand’s comments in full:
Hello there you awakening wonders. Now this is not the usual type of video we make on this channel where we critique, attack and undermine the news in all its corruption because in this story I am the news.
I have received two extremely disturbing letters – or a letter and an email – one from a mainstream media TV company, one from a newspaper listing a litany of extremely egregious and aggressive attacks, as well as some pretty stupid stuff, like my community festival should be stopped and I shouldn’t be able to attack mainstream media narratives on this channel.
But amidst this litany of astonishing rather baroque attacks are some very serious allegations that I absolutely refute. These allegations pertain to a time when I was in the mainstream, when I was in the newspapers all the time, when I was in the movies, and as I’ve written about extensively in my books I was very, very promiscuous.
During that time of promiscuity the relationships I had were absolutely always consensual. I was always transparent about that then, almost too transparent, and I am being transparent about it now as well.
And to see that transparency metastasized into something criminal that I absolutely deny makes me question is there another agenda at play.
Particularly when we have seen coordinated media attacks before, like Joe Rogan where he dared to take a medicine the mainstream media didn’t approve of and we saw a spate of headlines of media outlets around the world using the same language.
I am aware that you guys in the comments have been for a while saying ‘watch out Russell, they’re coming for you,’ ‘you are getting too close to the truth’, ‘Russell Brand did not kill himself’.’
I know a year ago there was a spate of articles: Russell Brand is a conspiracy theorists; Russell Brand is right wing.
I am aware of newspapers making phone calls, sending letters to people I know. For ages and ages, it’s been clear to me or at least feels to be there’s a serious and consorted agenda to control these kinds of spaces and these kind of voices.
I need my voice along with your voice. I don’t mind them using my books and my stand up to talk about my promiscuous sexual conduct in the past. What I seriously refute are these very, very serious, criminal allegations.
Also its worth mentioning that there are witnesses whose evidence directly contradicts the narratives that these two mainstream media outlets are trying to construct, apparently in what seems to be to me a coordinated attack.
Now, I don’t want to get into this any further because of the serious nature of the allegations but I feel like I’m being attacked and plainly they are working very closely together.
We are obviously going to look into this matter because it is very, very serious.
In the meantime, I want you to stay close, stay awake but more importantly than any of that, if you can stay free.