San Diego is expecting rainy and windy conditions across the county due to Hurricane Hilary forming in the Pacific Ocean, just south of Baja California. Although the storm is likely to be downgraded, combined, rain and wind can cause damage and flooding, so it’s important to plan ahead and take precautions. Monitor weather conditions on the National Weather Service website or your favorite weather website.
Resources for Schools
Resources for the Community
- The County of San Diego has a list of locations where you can find sand bags.
- ReadySanDiego has tips on how to prepare for flooding and other resources and safety tips.
- The National Weather Service has safety tips for hurricanes, floods, wildfires, and more.
Tips for Staying Safe During a Flood
- Stay informed by listening to radio or television.
- Ensure you have batteries or power back-up for your electronic devices
- Get to higher ground immediately.
- Obey evacuation orders. Listen to the authorities if you are told to leave.
- Avoid flood waters. Do not walk or drive through flood waters as they may be deeper than they appear.