The news broke at the same time it was revealed trigger-happy Kim Jong-un’s military had fired another missile towards Japan
NORTH Korean hackers are reported to have gained access to a secret masterplan formed by the US and South Korea in the event of war breaking out on the Korean peninsula.
The highly-confidential plan – titled OPLAN 5027 – was accessed back in September and assumes Kim Jong-un’s rogue state will make the first strike.
First drawn up in 1978, it has been updated every two years since 1994 and includes troop deployment plans, key North Korean targets and strategies.
“Hackers accessed reports containing portions of the plan, not the entire document,” according to the South Korean newspaper the Chosun Ilbo.
The news broke at the same time it was revealed trigger-happy Kim’s military had fired ANOTHER ballistic missile into waters off the Japanese coast.
Cybersecurity investigators are said to have discovered the hack when looking into a virus which had infected the South Korean military’s command servers.
Approximately 2,500 defence ministry computers with internet access and 700 connected to the intranet were affected with the malware, including Defence Minister Han Min-goo’s computer.
Last year he downplayed the seriousness of the hacking attack and claimed only a small amount of sensitive military information was leaked.
Now a military official has revealed “discussions are still taking place” as to whether the OPLAN 5027 needs overhauling now that North Korea has seen sections of it.
North Korea fired a missile early on Wednesday morning in a new provocation ahead of talks between US president Donald Trump and Xi Jinping, his Chinese counterpart.
The missile was launched from near the city of Sinpo and flew around 40 miles, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff announced, before falling into the Sea of Japan.
The initial US and South Korean assessments indicated it was a KN-15 medium-range missile, whose first publicly known test in February was considered by many foreign experts as a potentially worrying development.
It uses solid fuel already loaded inside the missile, which would shorten launch preparation times, boost the weapon’s mobility and make it harder for outsiders to detect the signs of its lift-off.
South Korea has called the North’s latest missile launch a “reckless provocation” that posed a threat to international peace, while Yoshihide Suga, Japan’s chief cabinet secretary, said the country lodged a strong protest over the launch.
A terse announcement from the US department of state stated: “North Korea launched yet another intermediate range ballistic missile.
“The United States has spoken enough about North Korea. We have no further comment”.