A man has been banned from the whole of Cardiff after a series of crimes including the repeated abuse of his former partner. Jay Slade had turned up outside his ex’s accommodation threatening to kill her — just a day after avoiding prison for assaulting her, Cardiff Magistrates’ Court heard.
Slade, 46, had assaulted his ex by beating her on April 24, which saw him handed a community order. He was then arrested on June 21 for being drunk and disorderly at Ninian Park Road, Riverside, and released that evening on bail. The following day Slade assaulted his ex again. One day later he was sentenced to an eight-week prison term suspended for 12 months and a restraining order.
The next morning he breached that order by going to his ex’s accommodation in Tudor Street. District Judge Steve Harmes said: “He was outside, shouting for her to come out otherwise he’d kill her. She never came out. Police were contacted and he was arrested a short distance away.”
Read next: ‘Don’t pretend you’re a nice man,’ judge tells serial abuser after wedding request
Slade initially denied harassment breaching a restraining order but pleaded guilty on the day his trial was set to begin. The court heard he had 20 previous offences on his record.
Judge Harmes imposed a 26-week jail term as well as activating the suspended sentence — amounting to a total of 34 weeks. He also made a 10-year order not only banning Slade from contacting his ex but also from being in Cardiff.
The court heard that although Slade had been staying at Butetown’s Huggard homeless centre, he is not originally from Cardiff and has no links to the city beyond his former relationship with the victim. Judge Harmes said a city-wide ban was the best way to protect her and that another local authority would find Slade somewhere to live following his release from prison.
You can read more of the latest court news from across Wales here.