4 accused of cybercrime, fraud | #cybercrime | #infosec

[ad_1]

CEBU CITY — Police have filed cybercrime and financial fraud charges against four persons linked to a scamming hub that previously operated in Barangay Kasambagan, Cebu City, under the guise of a call center firm.

 The Police Regional Office Central Visayas (PRO-7) and the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) filed the initial complaint on July 4, 2025, against a man known by the alias “Tonying,” a resident of Barangay Lahug, Cebu City. 

Investigators identified him as the alleged operator of the illegal investment scheme.

Police filed charges against Tonying for violating Sections 8 and 28 of Republic Act (RA) 8799 (Securities Regulation Code) and Section 11 of Republic Act 11765 (Financial Products and Services Consumer Protection Act), in relation to Section 6 of Republic Act 10175 (Cybercrime Prevention Act).

On July 11, police also filed complaints against three other individuals using the aliases “Lerang,” “Yanyan,” and “Jeje.” They reside in Balamban, Compostela and Cebu City, respectively. 

Get the latest news


delivered to your inbox

Sign up for The Manila Times newsletters

By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Investigators linked them to the same operation and charged them for violating Section 11 of RA 11765, also in relation to the Cybercrime Prevention Act.

CCTV footage recovered from the company’s office showed the suspects taking part in the operation. 

Investigators matched their appearances with names in the firm’s employee records and digital files, which PRO-7 now holds as evidence for additional charges.

 Police said that under the law, those convicted of investment fraud and cybercrime face penalties of up to 21 years in prison and fines of up to P5 million, depending on the offense and court ruling.

The Securities Regulation Code and the Financial Products and Services Consumer Protection Act consider unregistered investment schemes as serious financial crimes. When committed online, these crimes carry harsher penalties under the Cybercrime Prevention Act.

BGen. Redrico Maranan, PRO-7 director, said the investigation into the operation is ongoing. 

Authorities are also tracking down other individuals caught on CCTV inside the scam hub, who may have played roles in the illegal activities.

The police first raided the establishment after a hacker’s viral video exposed the operation of a firm identified as BMJ Data Processing Services. 

The video showed workers posing as foreigners to convince victims abroad, mostly from African countries, to invest in bogus schemes.

Cebu City Police, ACG-7, the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, and the Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center carried out the operation with a warrant issued by Judge James Stewart Ramon Himalaloan of RTC Branch 7. 

They seized computers, phones, and other digital devices from BMJ’s office on the second floor of The Gallery along Pope John Paul II Avenue. 

 

[ad_2]

Source link

——————————————————–


Click Here For The Original Source.

.........................

National Cyber Security

FREE
VIEW